07 Chili Challenge thread. feb. 21-24th

Out of state, non Arizona trail runs

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

07 Chili Challenge thread. feb. 21-24th

Unread postby Tice » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:57 pm

So whos going? I will probly head up weds night so I can wheel thurs, fri, and sat. baring any breaks that can't be fixed. And just like last year I will not be registering. We plan on heading out to the trails aroung 11:00 to let all the others get on the trail and down them before we get there. The dates are feb. 21-24th. It does get kinda cold at night but the days are pretty melow unless it rains on us like it does almost every time we go!! :roll:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a Toyota!!!!

I'm a firm believer in the double standard!!!!!!!!

Toyman1994 wrote:
damn...well new or next husband i dont care just find one so i can get off the hook already
Tice

Unread postby Tice » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Also, we run the extreme trails so, front and rear lockers are a must, rocker skids, 35's. A low crawl ratio is recomended but not mandatory. We had a guy run with us a while back in a TJ with 33's or 32's, he made it but winched alot. Trying to stay away from that this year. Not trying to say I make every thing ( though I just about do :D )but if you think your rig can't make it well......

Toyman1994 wrote:
damn...well new or next husband i dont care just find one so i can get off the hook already
Tice

Unread postby rokncj8 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm in. :thumb: Kelly and I were thinking about heading up maybe Tuesday to do the same. As well as the Extremes we always do, I would like to do a ride or two of the Hard trails 'Amatista Ledges;etc' for some different scenery if we can fit them in. Wadya think?
R.I.P. 82 CJ8; 42's; AMC 401; T18; NP231;D300; 2D Holly Pro Jection; D60F; D70R

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.".....Mario Andretti
rokncj8
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tice » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:49 pm

We could do that, not sure where they are but I'm sure we could find them.

Toyman1994 wrote:
Tice

Unread postby rokncj8 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:54 pm

tice
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We could do that, not sure where they are but I'm sure we could find them.

Cool. I know Bertha has been on them before, but we will to leave Monday in order to have the time to ride around for days while he is looking for them.
R.I.P. 82 CJ8; 42's; AMC 401; T18; NP231;D300; 2D Holly Pro Jection; D60F; D70R

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.".....Mario Andretti
rokncj8
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:18 pm

Have fun guys, this could possibly be the last year for it. They too are having the land wars with the greenies like we are here, possibly worse. Tice, Sam, make sure you pick up the stuff you need from the house and anything else you need feel free to grab it, you just have to do the work. :p
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby azyota » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:12 am

I thought I already had seen a Chili Challenge thread. Now where was that? :flipoff:

Looks like I'm out. I'm planning to be in Vegas that weekend.
www.crossedupoffroad.com
www.krishanningphoto.com

RIP 4alarm

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ....John Wayne
azyota
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:21 am

azyota wrote:Looks like I'm out. I'm planning to be in Vegas that weekend.

You know what Pat, you give me an idea, how about no one goes to LC at all this year until Labor Day weekend. It's just just not going to be any fun if you guys go and I'm not there. Just save yourselves the trouble and wait :p
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tice » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:59 pm

azyota wrote:I thought I already had seen a Chili Challenge thread. Now where was that? :flipoff:

I saw one too, but the guy that posted it isn't gonna be there so it doesn't count!! :p :D Why would you want to go to Vegas insted of wheelin?

Toyman1994 wrote:
Tice

Unread postby azyota » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:14 pm

tice wrote:
azyota wrote:I thought I already had seen a Chili Challenge thread. Now where was that? :flipoff:

I saw one too, but the guy that posted it isn't gonna be there so it doesn't count!! :p :D Why would you want to go to Vegas insted of wheelin?

It's to go wheeling. I'm going to try to run all the WErock west events. That weekend is the 1st round in Vegas.

I like Ryans idea too...... That or go again. :cool:
www.crossedupoffroad.com
www.krishanningphoto.com

RIP 4alarm

azyota
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tice » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:40 pm

Well then, I guess I'll have to accept that reason. I would say take lots of pics, but I'm sure Kris will. :thumb:

And yes, we will go again shortly after.

Toyman1994 wrote:
Tice

Unread postby azyota » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Put Up or Shut Up is in just a few weeks too. You guy's should come up for that. I'll start a thread for it.
www.crossedupoffroad.com
www.krishanningphoto.com

RIP 4alarm

azyota
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Ashman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Im planning on going this year.

I think I met the requirements 35s, lockers, hung like a mule.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby upside down » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 pm

hung like the horse that hooked up with your mom to make you a mule.....
Got trail plug?
....good.....bad.....i'm the guy with the gun...
G. Peter.....

douchebag.........
upside down
THE OTP!

Location: my new woman's place, she is the one on the left :)

Unread postby Tice » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:06 pm

You going with us Aaron?

Toyman1994 wrote:
Tice

Unread postby Ashman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Aaron is like a saddle, he goes where ever the mule takes him :flipoff:

Which trails do you know how to get to, have you tried?

I found this on the http://www.lascrucesfourwheeldriveclub.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rocotillo Rapids

Rocotillo Rapids was a new trail added for the 1999 Chile Challenge. This trail is also located in the Chile Canyons and basically starts at the east side of the canyons and follows a grueling arroyo bottom to the west side of the canyons and back. All of the trails in the Chile Canyons will traverse sand and sandstone. Boulders, rock ledges and waterfalls are common.

This is perhaps our most difficult, technical trail. Every obstacle is a major obstacle. This trail is reserved for the biggest of the "big boys". Two waterfalls are "winch only". Some of the boulders at the start of the trail are larger than most vehicles! Bring extra food and plan for a long day, this could easily turn into a twelve hour day!

THIS IS A WINCH ONLY TRAIL ! You MUST have a winch to participate on this trail.

The Gauntlet Want a challenge? How about huge water falls and mean nasty rock ledges. Desert Mountain Four Wheel Drive Club has a world class trail in The Gauntlet, a challenge for any 4 Wheeler. This is not a run for “Porch Puppies”. It is located 70 miles east of Las Cruces, in Coyote Canyon, this is worth the drive.
Patzcuarro’s Revenge
Patzcuarro's Revenge was the location of the finals for the 1998 BFG Rock Crawling Championship The trail begins next to Rocotillo Rapids and winds up in a neighboring arroyo at the loop road around the canyons

Although most participants fear (and break on) the first two waterfalls, there are several more challenging ledges, boulders and waterfalls upstream, one was the site of a recent roll over. The second waterfall, Nemesis Two, has a winch point if necessary. Please be careful and ask for a line - if you need one.

Tabasco Twister

This trail is located in the Chile Canyons area just north of Picacho Peak. The trail begins at the south edge of the Chile Canyons and heads northwest up and around the canyons. Scenery includes a great view of the Mesilla Valley and various surrounding mountain ranges.

After a short drive to the actual "entrance" to the trail, you will notice the boulders getting larger and larger. Next will come waterfalls which also get larger and larger. Although two of the most difficult waterfalls have winch points, they will still get your attention by their size and angle. Many hours will be spent watching or repairing vehicles along the way. Plan for a long day. Some vehicles have spent well over ten hours on this trail.

Habenero Falls

Habanero Falls is located on the northwestern edge of the Chile Canyons system. You will enjoy spectacular views of the Mesilla Valley and the visibility can range over fifty miles on a clear day!

After a mild start down into the Chile Canyons , you will slowly start your climb out, this is were the fun begins. The climax of the trail is seven, yes seven, consecutive waterfalls. With good clearance and solid lockers you may be able to climb each without assistance. One of the waterfalls is featured in the WARN Chile Challange Poster!
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:40 pm

Comments provided in yellow below...

Ashman wrote:Aaron is like a saddle, he goes where ever the mule takes him :flipoff:

Which trails do you know how to get to, have you tried?

I found this on the http://www.lascrucesfourwheeldriveclub.com/
Rocotillo Rapids

Rocotillo Rapids was a new trail added for the 1999 Chile Challenge. This trail is also located in the Chile Canyons and basically starts at the east side of the canyons and follows a grueling arroyo bottom to the west side of the canyons and back. All of the trails in the Chile Canyons will traverse sand and sandstone. Boulders, rock ledges and waterfalls are common.

This is perhaps our most difficult, technical trail. Every obstacle is a major obstacle. This trail is reserved for the biggest of the "big boys". Two waterfalls are "winch only". Some of the boulders at the start of the trail are larger than most vehicles! Bring extra food and plan for a long day, this could easily turn into a twelve hour day!

THIS IS A WINCH ONLY TRAIL ! You MUST have a winch to participate on this trail.

This is one of the easiest trails out of the group you have listed here. I don't think we have ever winched on this trail. The climb out is the only section that could cause problems as it is a bit off camber and could get really ugly if you miss your line. Otherwise, it is a fun trail with a couple different things to play on. I really like to get to the house, unload the trucks, and head our right away to hit it before the party starts that night. Couple hours to run with minor issues.
The Gauntlet Want a challenge? How about huge water falls and mean nasty rock ledges. Desert Mountain Four Wheel Drive Club has a world class trail in The Gauntlet, a challenge for any 4 Wheeler. This is not a run for “Porch Puppies”. It is located 70 miles east of Las Cruces, in Coyote Canyon, this is worth the drive.
Haven't ran this one, nor have I heard of it, but if it is the same as War Path that we have heard about, this is supposed to be worse than anything TM has. Jeff Bellas informed us that you will not come out in one piece from this trail. This is not offered at the CC.

Patzcuarro’s Revenge
Patzcuarro's Revenge was the location of the finals for the 1998 BFG Rock Crawling Championship The trail begins next to Rocotillo Rapids and winds up in a neighboring arroyo at the loop road around the canyons

Although most participants fear (and break on) the first two waterfalls, there are several more challenging ledges, boulders and waterfalls upstream, one was the site of a recent roll over. The second waterfall, Nemesis Two, has a winch point if necessary. Please be careful and ask for a line - if you need one.

This is prob my favorite trail. The first obstacle, you can make just have to know the lines. It is extremely tight for full width axles but Paul and Christi with their CJ make it through. The next obstacle immedately after the first, Loooonnnnnggggg wheel base is gonna be a plus and you will winch or strap up it. As you come up to it, you will not believe it but the right side is the easy side. The rest is good, maybe a strap here or there but good fun trail. Be aware, if you don't like LARGE crowds, do not run this on Sat. There will be easily several 100 people standing around the first two obstacles and they don't care if they are in your way or they are in a dangerous spot. There will also be people climbing around up on the ledges above you and be knocking rocks down. A very long day would be to run this and either Habenaro Falls, which is at the end of this trail or run Rocatello Rapids, and then this one. RR splits off to the right just as you enter this trail.

Tabasco Twister

This trail is located in the Chile Canyons area just north of Picacho Peak. The trail begins at the south edge of the Chile Canyons and heads northwest up and around the canyons. Scenery includes a great view of the Mesilla Valley and various surrounding mountain ranges.

After a short drive to the actual "entrance" to the trail, you will notice the boulders getting larger and larger. Next will come waterfalls which also get larger and larger. Although two of the most difficult waterfalls have winch points, they will still get your attention by their size and angle. Many hours will be spent watching or repairing vehicles along the way. Plan for a long day. Some vehicles have spent well over ten hours on this trail.

This is a very accurate description of this trail. We do not leave vehicles on the trail, but we have left two on this one over night, mine and Adams. Bring lots to drink and eat and your spare parts. This is also the trail that I "f*&ked up my engine", not really but i did put a huge crease in the front fenders and is what caused me to tube the front the front of my truck. List of things that we have seen broken on this trail: knuckle studs, driveshafts, ujoints, leafsprings, axles, oil filter, hubs, get the point... The good thing is that you can get out in a hurry and be back in a couple hours. It is possilbe to back to almost anywhere you need to on the trail coming in from the end. I love this trail!!

Habenero Falls

Habanero Falls is located on the northwestern edge of the Chile Canyons system. You will enjoy spectacular views of the Mesilla Valley and the visibility can range over fifty miles on a clear day!

After a mild start down into the Chile Canyons , you will slowly start your climb out, this is were the fun begins. The climax of the trail is seven, yes seven, consecutive waterfalls. With good clearance and solid lockers you may be able to climb each without assistance. One of the waterfalls is featured in the WARN Chile Challange Poster!

This is also an accurate description. I used to hate this trail just cause I could never get the 2nd and last fall. Well, I finally got the second fall this last trip and it was awsome. It is about a 4 foot ledge but it is shear, need a big BO or a good skid plate or know the proper tire placement. I explained the way I did it to Tice so if you have a long wheel base he should be able to put you in the proper line. The last fall is where Paul and Christi did their endo last trip also. You will get twisted sideways in it and it will feel all wierd, just watch it and you will be fine.

Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tice » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:57 pm

I think you hit the nail right on the head Ryan! I think I like T.T. the best, but P.R. is aswesome too. I want to see what the monsoon has done to the place. :thumb:

Toyman1994 wrote:
Tice

Unread postby Ashman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:18 pm

Toyman1994 wrote:Haven't ran this one, nor have I heard of it, but if it is the same as War Path that we have heard about, this is supposed to be worse than anything TM has. Jeff Bellas informed us that you will not come out in one piece from this trail. This is not offered at the CC.

That is a bold statement. Jeff Nor I have run the Hardest TM stuff yet.

sweet.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:22 pm

I think it is a bold statement too, and second hand info from several people, not just Jeff. I haven't ran at TM at all but he said that before they got in 1/4 of the trail, there were already several busted ring and pinion sets including front and rear on his..I could be very off base but..from the sounds...
Last edited by Toyman1994 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:32 pm

tice wrote:I think you hit the nail right on the head Ryan! I think I like T.T. the best, but P.R. is aswesome too. I want to see what the monsoon has done to the place. :thumb:

If the monsoons have done anything like they have in AZ, it'll be very interesting.

Also, forgot to mention, if the trails are wet, you will easily double your trail run time. The mud is insane out there. Mix between soil, sand and clay..Damn, I want to go..

Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby azyota » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:18 pm

These are re-posts, but here are a couple pics from the falls on P.R.
The croud is DRUNK, and having fun! Also, we got there late and a lot of people had already left.
www.crossedupoffroad.com
www.krishanningphoto.com

RIP 4alarm

azyota
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Ashman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:52 am

cool.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jpcrawleram » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:37 am

Im in. I know Marty and Oday might be thinking of going as well. I should have my juggy done by than if I get the parts in the next few weeks...
LetZRoll Offroad
jpcrawleram
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby Tice » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:01 pm

jpcrawleram wrote:Im in. I know Marty and Oday might be thinking of going as well. I should have my juggy done by than if I get the parts in the next few weeks...

You going buggy with the Jeep Andrew? What kinda parts you waiting for?

Toyman1994 wrote:
Tice

Next

Return to Other Runs