chile challenge

Out of state, non Arizona trail runs

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

chile challenge

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 am

Don't forget...preregistration $150 must be postmarked by the 28th of this month...175 at the door. Who's goin?
I believe ill be taggin along with waterdog, tigmig, and a few of their buddies
I'm not racist. I'm a nationalist. A taxpayer with a steady job. If that offends you, maybe you need to get a job and contribute to society or find another flag to seek shelter under.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Re: chile challenge

Unread postby G-Eagle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 pm

I am hoping to make it! I am thinking Wednesday 23rd to Saturday. What runs did you put in for? I called a two weeks ago and they only had 100 registered, thats good news! Who's camping?
78 CJ7 V8 700R4, 3.06:1 Tera low, 2x stik, X'd up 609 front -ARB, N9 rear- Spool, 4-link, 513's
2007 Dodge 4x 2500 diesel
G-Eagle
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby G-Eagle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:50 pm

blackd-out-chev wrote:Don't forget...preregistration $150 must be postmarked by the 28th of this month...175 at the door. Who's goin?
I believe ill be taggin along with waterdog, tigmig, and a few of their buddies

Blackd-out-chev, you still going? what days days? what trails, What rig will you be in?
Tony
78 CJ7 V8 700R4, 3.06:1 Tera low, 2x stik, X'd up 609 front -ARB, N9 rear- Spool, 4-link, 513's
G-Eagle
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Yessir...ill be there. Runnin a toyota pickup. Going up the 22nd so we can go thru tech n everything and be all set. Staying thru the 26th. Not camping. We are running

Wednesday-rocotillo rapids Thursday-habanero falls Friday-tabasco twister Saturday-cayenne crawler

You gonna go? Where u comin from n whatcha runnin?
I'm not racist. I'm a nationalist. A taxpayer with a steady job. If that offends you, maybe you need to get a job and contribute to society or find another flag to seek shelter under.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby G-Eagle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:45 pm

blackd-out-chev wrote:Yessir...ill be there. Runnin a toyota pickup. Going up the 22nd so we can go thru tech n everything and be all set. Staying thru the 26th. Not camping. We are running

Wednesday-rocotillo rapids Thursday-habanero falls Friday-tabasco twister Saturday-cayenne crawler

Got this a little late, i am back now. If you did Habanero Thursday, I was the jeep that trashed his t-case on the last falls!
There was one one Toy, and it was very nice! Is that yours or a friend? Left tucson 3 am, home 8:30, 17.5 hours of driving!
Entry fee 215
Fuel 220
food and drink 100
wasted T-case, 2500 to replace plus!
But I got this nice t-shirt! (hunor)

It was all good, great people, nice area. I'd do it again and I'll be back!!!
G-Eagle
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby brabham 64 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm

G-Eagle wrote:
blackd-out-chev wrote:Yessir...ill be there. Runnin a toyota pickup. Going up the 22nd so we can go thru tech n everything and be all set. Staying thru the 26th. Not camping. We are running

Got this a little late, i am back now. If you did Habanero Thursday, I was the jeep that trashed his t-case on the last falls!
There was one one Toy, and it was very nice! Is that yours or a friend? Left tucson 3 am, home 8:30, 17.5 hours of driving!
Entry fee 215
Fuel 220
food and drink 100
wasted T-case, 2500 to replace plus!
But I got this nice t-shirt! (hunor)

It was all good, great people, nice area. I'd do it again and I'll be back!!!

Blackedoutchev was the guy in the toyota that toasted his motor on the first day.... But he finally found a replacement yesterday and swapped/rebuilt it all night last night and then ran the trail today..... So I'm sure he will give an update tomorrow but he got the yota back together just in time to eat shower and head to the trail.........
76 Chevy long bed 350/400/203/44/12 and 133"wb

Soon to be cut up and get a 109"wb, 44/14, shackle flip, and 52"-56" springs!
brabham 64
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 am

wow, thats some determination right there! i know we have had issues in the past with steering boxs ripping off frames, mounts breaking off axles, crossmembers breaking, knuckle studs breaking and who knows what else that has caused us to thrash all night at Las Cruces before but a whole damn engine!

I :bow2: to you sir. I figured you were home replacing it.
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 am

WARNING...LONG STORY BUT A GOOD ONE
We ended up runnin habanero on wed. I made it up the "big" waterfall fall there pretty eay. Then went up and was doing the big vertical wedge thing and popped the motor. It siezed up and wouldn't even turn over. Had to get dragged/winched up that little fall and dragged outa the trail. Finally got the motor to turn over and start part of the way out but it sounded horrible. Gary chevarria is waterdogs buddy that we were hangin with...they had 2 motors that they would sell...but they were both '83s so that wouldn't work...Soon as we got off the trail I was calling everyone and anyone and askin around if anyone had a motor layin around. Was getting pretty discouraged...22r motors are apparently pretty hard to come by. Finally found out that one of the guys that works for gary had a motor out of an 85 sitting at garys shop that ran when he pulled it but was losing power. got up 6 o'clock on Thursday n met up with the guy over at garys shop and ran a leakdown test on the motor...had 2 bad cylinders. I HAVE NEVER DONE A COMPLETE REBUILD ON ANY MOTOR BEFOR IN MY LIFE OR EVEN A SWAP BY MYSELF. But I bought it anyway. Loaded it up...went n got a overhaul kit and had to order a piston ring kit from oriellys that would be there by 130. Hauled ass back to garys house (I can't say enough about gary and sherry for the use of their shop) started tearing the motor down. Pulled the pistons out and the rings were trashed...fallin apart. The cylinders were generally ok lookin but one of em was a little dirty lookin. Turns out the crank had been turned so I needed oversize bearings. And the motor was bored .20 over...so I ordered the wrong rings...shit! Hauled ass back to the machine shop. He actually had a set of pistons and rings in stock for a .20 over motor as well as the bearings. It was only 23 dollars more for the pistons and rings from him then it cost me just for the rings from orielly. (Riggs distributing in las cruces are awesome guys. Very very helpful and very knowledgeable). Borrowed a ball hone from the guys at micro machining(very awesome guys. Told em what I had goin on...he let me borrow a hone no questions asked. No money. No deposit. Nothing. And they do a lot of really good lookin work in there). Hauled ass back to garys shop again and got back to work on it. I did all of this work on the tailgate of the truck...with the motor hangin from a chain on his lift. Got the motor all back together around 7 or so.everyone else got back from the trail. Stopped to eat a bite of dinner around 8 I think. Got my motor pulled out. Had it sitting on a rolling cart while I was tearing the fuel injection system and accessories off of it and swapping to the new motor. Got it all put together. Put it in the truck about3am.(was around 30degrees at this point...) got everything hooked up and bolted in. Fired her up about 5am. Had to get the timing sorted out. Then had a couple leaky hoses. But finally got to take it for a ride. Ran pretty decent. Went back to the shop then hustled to the hotel for a quick shower and grabbed some food then went back to garys. Found I had forgot to tie my power steering line outa the way and it wore a hole on the alternator pulley. Had to fix that. Loaded up. Barely got to the trailhead on time. Ran tabasco twister Friday on a fresh motor with 10 mins run time. Was fallin asleep on the first part of the trail contemplating hanging myself with my shoelaces...finally got into the good rocks and woke up. Was a long ass trail.truck ran great. Almost made it up abyss. Made it up the whole rest of the trail pretty easy. Didn't get off the trail til after 9pm. Long drive back to the hotel. Food. Shower. Finally got to bed a little after midnite. 42 hours total awake time on 5 hrs sleep the nite before and after staying up all day after graveyards to drive to cruces Tuesday...I slept a little bit Sunday nite. Worked Monday nite no sleep. Few hours tues nite. 4hrs wed nite. Then a 42 hour awake time. Woke up Saturday mornin feelin like hell. Splashed some water on my face and headed for garys house. Had to drive the toy from his house to the airdown point for rocotillo because they weren't allowing trailers Saturday. Rocotillo was an awesome trail. Constant obstacles. Worst part was the huge group we had made for a little slow going. But the toy made all the big obstacles. Did really well. Met solme awesome people. Hammered on the motor pretty hard on that trail. Did great the whole time. Drove it back to garys. Barely startn to get a little bottom end noise. Figured it'd happen by the way the old main and rod bearings looked. But the motor did its job...got me 2 more days wheelin. Gary n fred n everyone was bragging about me apparently cuz I kept havin people askin me if I was the one that pulled a motor rebuild...haha. so now I just needa yank the motor back out and either turn the crank or get a new one and throw it in...then ill fairly well have a new motor top to bottom. Great experience. Awesome trails. Memory ill never forget. I can't say enuf about the chevarrias. Elite autos in las cruces is their shop. The guys at riggs distruibuting, micro machining, and especially the people that helped me get it all done.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 am

WARNING...LONG STORY BUT A GOOD ONE
We ended up runnin habanero on wed. I made it up the "big" waterfall fall there pretty eay. Then went up and was doing the big vertical wedge thing and popped the motor. It siezed up and wouldn't even turn over. Had to get dragged/winched up that little fall and dragged outa the trail. Finally got the motor to turn over and start part of the way out but it sounded horrible. Gary chevarria is waterdogs buddy that we were hangin with...they had 2 motors that they would sell...but they were both '83s so that wouldn't work...Soon as we got off the trail I was calling everyone and anyone and askin around if anyone had a motor layin around. Was getting pretty discouraged...22r motors are apparently pretty hard to come by. Finally found out that one of the guys that works for gary had a motor out of an 85 sitting at garys shop that ran when he pulled it but was losing power. got up 6 o'clock on Thursday n met up with the guy over at garys shop and ran a leakdown test on the motor...had 2 bad cylinders. I HAVE NEVER DONE A COMPLETE REBUILD ON ANY MOTOR BEFOR IN MY LIFE OR EVEN A SWAP BY MYSELF. But I bought it anyway. Loaded it up...went n got a overhaul kit and had to order a piston ring kit from oriellys that would be there by 130. Hauled ass back to garys house (I can't say enough about gary and sherry for the use of their shop) started tearing the motor down. Pulled the pistons out and the rings were trashed...fallin apart. The cylinders were generally ok lookin but one of em was a little dirty lookin. Turns out the crank had been turned so I needed oversize bearings. And the motor was bored .20 over...so I ordered the wrong rings...shit! Hauled ass back to the machine shop. He actually had a set of pistons and rings in stock for a .20 over motor as well as the bearings. It was only 23 dollars more for the pistons and rings from him then it cost me just for the rings from orielly. (Riggs distributing in las cruces are awesome guys. Very very helpful and very knowledgeable). Borrowed a ball hone from the guys at micro machining(very awesome guys. Told em what I had goin on...he let me borrow a hone no questions asked. No money. No deposit. Nothing. And they do a lot of really good lookin work in there). Hauled ass back to garys shop again and got back to work on it. I did all of this work on the tailgate of the truck...with the motor hangin from a chain on his lift. Got the motor all back together around 7 or so.everyone else got back from the trail. Stopped to eat a bite of dinner around 8 I think. Got my motor pulled out. Had it sitting on a rolling cart while I was tearing the fuel injection system and accessories off of it and swapping to the new motor. Got it all put together. Put it in the truck about3am.(was around 30degrees at this point...) got everything hooked up and bolted in. Fired her up about 5am. Had to get the timing sorted out. Then had a couple leaky hoses. But finally got to take it for a ride. Ran pretty decent. Went back to the shop then hustled to the hotel for a quick shower and grabbed some food then went back to garys. Found I had forgot to tie my power steering line outa the way and it wore a hole on the alternator pulley. Had to fix that. Loaded up. Barely got to the trailhead on time. Ran tabasco twister Friday on a fresh motor with 10 mins run time. Was fallin asleep on the first part of the trail contemplating hanging myself with my shoelaces...finally got into the good rocks and woke up. Was a long ass trail.truck ran great. Almost made it up abyss. Made it up the whole rest of the trail pretty easy. Didn't get off the trail til after 9pm. Long drive back to the hotel. Food. Shower. Finally got to bed a little after midnite. 42 hours total awake time on 5 hrs sleep the nite before and after staying up all day after graveyards to drive to cruces Tuesday...I slept a little bit Sunday nite. Worked Monday nite no sleep. Few hours tues nite. 4hrs wed nite. Then a 42 hour awake time. Woke up Saturday mornin feelin like hell. Splashed some water on my face and headed for garys house. Had to drive the toy from his house to the airdown point for rocotillo because they weren't allowing trailers Saturday. Rocotillo was an awesome trail. Constant obstacles. Worst part was the huge group we had made for a little slow going. But the toy made all the big obstacles. Did really well. Met solme awesome people. Hammered on the motor pretty hard on that trail. Did great the whole time. Drove it back to garys. Barely startn to get a little bottom end noise. Figured it'd happen by the way the old main and rod bearings looked. But the motor did its job...got me 2 more days wheelin. Gary n fred n everyone was bragging about me apparently cuz I kept havin people askin me if I was the one that pulled a motor rebuild...haha. so now I just needa yank the motor back out and either turn the crank or get a new one and throw it in...then ill fairly well have a new motor top to bottom. Great experience. Awesome trails. Memory ill never forget. I can't say enuf about the chevarrias. Elite autos in las cruces is their shop. The guys at riggs distruibuting, micro machining, and especially the people that helped me get it all done.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Return to Other Runs