Undertakers Run

Discuss and post pics of Arizona trail runs.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Undertakers Run

Unread postby simon_s » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Well after 3 years of being in the US and living in Arizona I finally managed to persuade someone to let me come along to an AZ Undertakers trail run.

John at Rockin' J Offroad has been kind enough to give me work as an apprentice and just so happens to be a member of the Undertakers, so when he mentioned they were planning a run and would I like to go, I jumped at the chance...

When we arrived at the campsite everyone was still recovering from the carnage of the previous day's run, water on the trails had made some of the climbs a little trickier than usual. Once a group had got together a plan was formed and we headed out to the trails.

Trail number one was a series of tight steep notches with boulder fields on between. The group consisted of John in his big buggy, Rob in the rock limo, Chuck in his super-lightweight crawler, Uriel in his '4Runner' and Miller in his pissed-off-squirrel-powered Jeep.

No one had any real problems on this first trail other than Miller lying his Jeep down at the top of a big notch. I think he said he meant to do that.

The second trail was a 15 min drive through some beautiful country. The first obstacle was a large rock slab with some annoying-placed holes, and just enough water and mud to make it an ice rink. Miller attacked it hard but couldn't quite get over so took a cable to the top.

Chuck also struggled with a 3-cylinder engine and clutch problems so decided to follow Miller's lead and winch up, as did Rob. Next up was Uriel, who decided to go big or go home. That approach seemed to work as he managed to bounce around enough to get some purchase on the slick rock and bump over the top, see the video at the bottom.

When it came to John's turn he took the Uriel approach and hit it hard. Unfortunately a little too hard and ended up turning turtle in quite a hard roll. He was fine but the cage took a beating and the winch packed up.

John decided to head back to the trailers early rather than continue running the trails with no winch, which was a good idea as on the way back something definitely wasn't right with the front end. See the vid below for the carnage.

It was a great day, shame we had to throw in the towel early but hopefully I'll get out to an Undertaker's run again soon, once the rig has had a little work done to it maybe...

Thanks to all the Undertakers for making me feel welcome. There's a report and photos linked on my website below.
http://www.slapstickmedia.co.uk - New site up and running full of 4x4 motorsport vids and photos!
simon_s
Training Wheels

Re: Undertakers Run

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:19 pm

cool pics and video, it would've been more fun to be there in person!
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby Ashman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:56 pm

You cant talk about fight club here. :D

Im bummed I missed the trip but got alot done tinkering on the buggy this weekend.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby XJSETH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:23 pm

trails are sick! :bow2:
98 XJ truggy thing with metal, tube, and dents...
96 f350 CCLB SRW is the tow rig...
XJSETH
Training Wheels

Return to Arizona Trip Reports