First run in the Zook

Discuss and post pics of Arizona trail runs.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

First run in the Zook

Unread postby simon_s » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Disclaimer: This is not a hardcore crawlfest full of carnage and destruction. This was my first trip offroad in the US in my own 4x4. Go elsewhere if you want excitement!!

Me and Abby took the Zook out for it's first run on Monday afternoon. Was thinking of going to Chimney Rock, but Abby wanted to run the Control Road. Yeah yeah, I know it's not a road you need a 4x4 for really...

Anyway, we took a slight detour and ran the Rice Peak Trail as far as we could til it got dark, lovely drive along the wash and some of the climbs up and out of the valley were washed out and entertaining.

Onwards and upwards...

Found out afterwards we took the 'easy' route, but that's just an excuse to go back and run the 'hard' route. The map we were using didn't have all the trails marked either which didn't help. We nearly got to the summit of Rice Peak but I didn't fancy the final climb and descent in the dark.

We backtracked a bit and set up camp just up from where FR 4472 meets 29. Had some food, a beer or two and woke up the next morning to this:

Decided to follow 4472 back to the Control Road, glad we did! It was a great trail, amazing views and dropoffs, saw so many birds and wildlife. Bumped into a guy waaay out who was friendly and told us we were only the third car he'd seen in 5 days.

Dropping back down towards the Control Road saw a little more interesting terrain in the washes. Met back with the Control Road and followed it up the mountain for cookies and coffee at the Cabin.

Saw this guy/gal on a rock on the way up...

All in all I was pleased with how the Sammy performed. It was the ideal trip to get to grips with how it feels offroad. Need to chase a couple of annoying rattles down, fix up a mount for the hi lift and stop the tire carrier from undoing itself... :roll:

(Mods: if this should be elsewhere feel free to move it..)
http://www.slapstickmedia.co.uk - New site up and running full of 4x4 motorsport vids and photos!
simon_s
Training Wheels

Return to Arizona Trip Reports