Mammoth 12/19/09

Discuss and post pics of Arizona trail runs.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Mammoth 12/19/09

Unread postby hayseed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:59 am

I wanted to take my new buggy out for a shake down run so I met up with Alan ( peccary ), Dave Ashman, and a few others from the Tucson Fluff (Rough) Riders :flipoff: for a day of some hardcore crawling at Mammoth.
We had a few minor problems but nothing major. Dave's Jeep died on the way to the trail, Ignition problems I think.
I got a bunch of kidding about my bald tires, but I just said that we'll see how they work! Also a bunch of teasing about how my lack of seat time would show with a very capable rig.
The first trail was 7 sisters. The first obsticle is a waterfall about 8 feet verticle, very few people ever make it with out winching. Non of the 5 rigs made it with out winching including myself. One of the guy's from Tucson rough riders, Jeremy, spent nearly an hour trying to get the fall without winching and he dug out the bottom of the fall really bad, so it was all but impossible to get up it by anyone else.
The second falls we all had to winch again. it really wants to flip everyone over backwards. Jeremy broke his rear drivers side Cr Mo dana 60 axle.
From there on through the trail there was a mixture of people driving or winching somme of the trails. After the first two obsticles I didn't have to winch any more all day.
On The third obsticle Jeremy broke the other rear axle so he was done for the day. He sure loves the skinny pedal!
I want to say the rigs I wheeled with are some of the most well built rigs in Tucson. I was in the company of some very comptetent drivers.
After 7 sisters we ran Last Crusade, no more breakage on the rigs but the rig with rockwell axles so didn't like that narrow trail. He was just too wide!
These two trails took us all day we got out there at the head of the first trail at around 10am and got back to the trailers a bit afer dark.
Oh if you see an orange Jeep CJ with the driver on the wrong side, don't stand behind him, those 44" bogger sure throw rocks a long distance when he starts spinning the tires!
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
Specializing in rock crawler custom fabrication, chassis, suspension, and drive train.
Check out our website! http://www.rockingjoffroad.com
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby peccary » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:24 pm

One minor correction--
None of the drivers in our group yesterday are Rough Rider Members
peccary
Training Wheels

Unread postby hayseed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:47 pm

oop's sorry I was cornfuseled!
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
Specializing in rock crawler custom fabrication, chassis, suspension, and drive train.
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby Ashman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:30 pm

I have at least an ignition problem.
It wouldn't start, I hit the distributor then it started. It would idle fine but was kicking and coughing under higher load, kept back firing could have been all that starting fluid, but was still doing it 30 min later. It started to overheat and anything more then partial throttle it would stumble.

I didnt make it to the trail and drove back to the trailer. Getting it off the trailer I notice My electric fans are now not coming on, another electrical problem.

My propane regulator and lockoff valve have diaphragms that could be worn out or damaged, If I take it apart Ill just rebuild them.

My plan is to find the fan issue first might be related. Check my power and ground connections. Do a tune up kit, new plugs and wires, then see if its better... then get rebuild kits and take the regulator and lock off apart. I should add a fuel filter to the lockoff, I could have some buildup from years of not running a filter.

Another frustrating trip for me.
Ill trade you trucks John. :flipoff:
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Spinnas » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Well John, you didn't break anything on the first run, so that's a good start :p I just got home, awesome weekend out there and the weather was actually pretty nice. We ran everything out there and more :D Only 2 winches cables were pulled all weekend :shocked:
YJ pile of crap
Spinnas
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby peccary » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:46 pm

hayseed wrote:oop's sorry I was cornfuseled!

Tim,who was taking the videos, is a Rough Rider member, that is probably where you got that connection.
peccary
Training Wheels

Unread postby peccary » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Spinnas wrote: Only 2 winch cables were pulled all weekend :shocked:

I managed to pull mine twice on the first two waterfalls on 7S than left it alone for the rest of the day. Some day I will make those damn things but so far not much luck.
peccary
Training Wheels

Unread postby Spinnas » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:13 pm

peccary wrote:
Spinnas wrote: Only 2 winch cables were pulled all weekend :shocked:

I managed to pull mine twice on the first two waterfalls on 7S than left it alone for the rest of the day. Some day I will make those damn things but so far not much luck.

GET IT ALAN!!! And Dave, I already offered John to trade him :flipoff:
YJ pile of crap
Spinnas
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby hayseed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Ryan,
I'll trade you all four of my worn out stickies for your 4 cyl of power jeep! :flipoff:
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby Spinnas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am

hayseed wrote:Ryan,
I'll trade you all four of my worn out stickies for your 4 cyl of power jeep! :flipoff:

You ready to sell me a couple spares yet? I cut a tire on Saturday.
YJ pile of crap
Spinnas
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby hayseed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 am

The new tires should be here sometime this week so after they are on my rig then we can talk about it.
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby peccary » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Spinnas wrote: GET IT ALAN!!!

Ryan, talked to Andrew at werock and ordered a set of rockers from him so next time out I will kick that waterfalls ass.
peccary
Training Wheels

Unread postby Spinnas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36 pm

peccary wrote:
Spinnas wrote: GET IT ALAN!!!

Ryan, talked to Andrew at werock and ordered a set of rockers from him so next time out I will kick that waterfalls ass.

Right on, don't know if you saw the Black rig with us has the Rockers. He loves them. Crawled both first and second falls on 7S like nothing. Actually, he crawled everything all weekend no problem, and whooped Portals ass too.
YJ pile of crap
Spinnas
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby peccary » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:07 am

Spinnas wrote:Right on, don't know if you saw the Black rig with us has the Rockers. He loves them. Crawled both first and second falls on 7S like nothing. Actually, he crawled everything all weekend no problem, and whooped Portals ass too.

He has a really good buggy and is a good driver but hopefully the rockers will make a big difference. He also runs a lot more water than I do which would be a factor on that stuff. Suppose I can add more water also.

Crawling those things is impressive. Every rig I have seen get over them used a big bump to get some speed.
peccary
Training Wheels

Unread postby sawzall » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I was with a couple of early broncos that day and i saw the green jeep (Ashman i presume) leaving as we were airing down in the wash. there were some awesome rigs out there!!!
sawzall
Training Wheels

Unread postby Ashman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 pm

sawzall wrote:I was with a couple of early broncos that day and i saw the green jeep (Ashman i presume) leaving as we were airing down in the wash. there were some awesome rigs out there!!!

Yea that was me sputtering back to the trailers.
I still havent had time to work on the jeep yet. tomorrow I get garage time.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby OnTheSpot » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Is everyone holding out on pics??? Sounds like a good time.
I got a fugly cage
OnTheSpot
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Return to Arizona Trip Reports