Sutherland, Sat 8-15-9

Discuss and post pics of Arizona trail runs.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Sutherland, Sat 8-15-9

Unread postby DUMASS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Started at 3:40 and at sundown, after multiple beverage breaks and a landscaping exercise at the creek crossing, 5800' was cool, the opposite of the caliente in Catalina let alone Tucson. The challenging, yet not carnage causing, trail delivered. 33s and a rear locker would be a good minimum for this run and would have made for a much more challenging ascent. This would make for a fantastic summer overnighter, my plan for next time. As always don't go alone (my mistake) because if something goes wrong it's a LONG way down and out. The upside is you'll have great cell coverage (verizon at least) almost all the way.

Next time I hope to shoot for the crack of noon for a takeoff time and make it to the observatory by dark.

My radiator fan shit the bed, thought it was the relay again...no such luck, so the ride back took until dawn. Although the trail was so overgrown that trees in the middle of the trail were taller than those next to it, we had no problem finding our way back down.

So add in the Perseid meteor shower and you've got a really "cool" summer run.

Am I ready to go again?

Does mouse shit roll? :D

The "dreaded" creek crossing:

The left turn and washout @ the big tree (which is no more since the fires)

Reaching the saddle @ the sign, the end of the trail.
PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
American Communications Association v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382,442
DUMASS
...DICK

Unread postby Ashman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Sweet, That is further then I have ventured up that trail. Looks worth doing, Ive had the itch for 5 years... I probably should go see a doctor.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby chuggins143 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Ok, what time are we leaving next Sat? :naughty:

Brody? Hayseed? You two still in?

Ashman, drain your junk, pour in some new juice and come get some! :D
New DD - 2003 Toy Quadcab Prerunner

Soon to be truggy from this carcass!
RIP! - 85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Brody » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:33 am

chuggins143 wrote:Ok, what time are we leaving next Sat? :naughty:

Brody? Hayseed? You two still in?

Ashman, drain your junk, pour in some new juice and come get some! :D

I installed the alternator last night. Actually just came in to grab my multi meter off the desk and go test for power. That being said no probably not going to be ready :laughing:
Brody
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chuggins143 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:30 pm

Brody wrote:I installed the alternator last night. Actually just came in to grab my multi meter off the desk and go test for power. That being said no probably not going to be ready :laughing:

You got a couple of days. :D git'r done!

RIP! - 85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby DUMASS » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:17 pm

buggy's fixed, who's posting the run? (done)

Noon departure would get us farther but make's Friday a nogo for my working friends, I'd like to camp this time so a late start would work, have all the next am to go further. The beginning is an easy night run, how about Friday night out and whoever wants to go Sat. morning at the crack of dawn can bring breakfast?

They have a pizza shop now, think they'll deliver?

Mt Lemmon Cookie Cabin
Pizza Restaurant
12781 North Sabino Canyon Road
Mount Lemmon, AZ 85619
Tel: (520) 576-1010
PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
DUMASS
...DICK

Unread postby Brody » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:25 pm

DUMASS wrote:

They have a pizza shop now, think they'll deliver?

Mt Lemmon Cookie Cabin
Pizza Restaurant
12781 North Sabino Canyon Road
Mount Lemmon, AZ 85619
Tel: (520) 576-1010

I've ate there once I doubt they deliver though :D
Brody
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chuggins143 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:13 pm

We might make it up there by lunch time on Sat. :naughty:

I'm down with going in and doing the camping thing. Probably couldn't be to the trail head until about 6ish.

Anyone else?
C

chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby hayseed » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 pm

No way I can get up there this weekend. Wish i could, but I'm on call this week and my rig still isn't put back together!
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
Specializing in rock crawler custom fabrication, chassis, suspension, and drive train.
Check out our website! http://www.rockingjoffroad.com
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby DUMASS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:26 pm

hayseed wrote:No way I can get up there this weekend. Wish i could, but I'm on call this week and my rig still isn't put back together!

bah..you can just use the power lines as a zipline to the parking lot if they call you :p

What do you need to get running?

DUMASS
...DICK

Return to Arizona Trip Reports