Chivo Falls, Sunday- Pre trail-closure event

Post upcoming runs here

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Chivo Falls, Sunday- Pre trail-closure event

Unread postby DUMASS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am

We should at least visit with our employees as they prepare to close Reddington to motorized use, don't you think?

See this:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16080

• What: Free public information event on Redington Pass, east of Tucson. Government agency representatives and others will discuss recreation and cleanup work in the area.

• When: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to noon Sunday. Guided bird-watching walks will begin at 8:30 each morning.

• Where: Events will be at a new information kiosk on the pass. It's near Milepost 4 on Redington Road, about a half mile east of the Lower Tanque Verde Canyon Trailhead. From Tucson, drive east on Tanque Verde Road, which becomes Redington Road as it climbs toward the pass.
PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
American Communications Association v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382,442
DUMASS
...DICK

Re: MEET ON THE PASS - Pre trail-closure event

Unread postby Nordstrom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 am

I plan to be there Sunday.
'85 Toyota Xtra cab
Nordstrom
Training Wheels

Re: MEET ON THE PASS - Pre trail-closure event

Unread postby geeo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:32 pm

TOR is going to meet at Circle K on Tanque Verde Sunday, 7:30 am and head up about 7:45, according to their site.
I can't believe the USFS did it!
geeo
Training Wheels

Re: Chivo Falls, Sunday- Pre trail-closure event

Unread postby Ashman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

JK owners
Pirate4x4
Wheelingarziona
Tucson offroad

lets all meet Sunday at 7:30AM at the circle K.
At 8AM we should be 1/2 mile east of the Tanqueverde Falls Trail head which is very early on the dirt road.

Ill get the MJ together for its first outing. And need to finish the buggy to the next weekends memorial run.
Attachments
TanqueVerde Falls.jpg
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby toby » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am

I'm there
drab xj
toby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Robert » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm in. Where can I park my trailer with out it getting hit. Someone ran into it last Saturday in the parking lot at the trailhead
91 tracker 4 link front and rear. 488 toyotas samurai 4to 1 case on33s
Robert
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Wish i could make it! Whats the bottom line here? Are they gonna close chiva for motorized use?
I'm not racist. I'm a nationalist. A taxpayer with a steady job. If that offends you, maybe you need to get a job and contribute to society or find another flag to seek shelter under.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby geeo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Friends of Redington Pass, under their mission statement list their priorities:

-Assure conservation and restoration of sensitive riparian areas along the Tanque Verde Creek, it's watershed and wildlife
corridors through out the pass
-Improve opportunities for non-motorized, quiet recreation activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, wildlife
viewing, picnicking and camping
-Improve safe conditions along Redington Road and throughout the Pass for residents and visitors

I think they sure would like to shut down all the trails to motorized uses.
geeo
Training Wheels

Unread postby Rock On » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 am

I'll be there with a few others.
DOH!
Rock On
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby AZ J20 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Friends with a rubicon and me and my jeep will be there.
steve

'86 J20
SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
High Steer, Ram Assist
Bunch of Other Stuff
AZ J20
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Ashman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Address for the circle k try to be there 730.
Ill print out a sign in sheet to help document our numbers an interest

11271 E Tanque Verde Rd, Tucson, AZ 85749

http://goo.gl/maps/fp6x
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby hellraizer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Just found out about this tonight. I'll be there at 7:30.
%@#$!!!!!!
hellraizer
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby Ashman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Pretty good trunout, I think the list of wheelers was about 54 people. The Friends Of Redington was about 5.
The friends of Redington is mostly comprised of local home owners. On sight they said they are not trying to close or limit land use to OHV users, but their missions statement implies that they are anti OHV.

Game and fish and Forest service reps were there to listen to our concerns.

New faces but the same dance. Redington is going through a travel management planning phase, they are looking for public input, IE they want GPS to known trails/roads they can map for potential closure. Same deal as BLM's past travel management plans, if its not on the map its closed.

I gave them a run down of our past losses and expressed my concerns with providing them with any "information". I explained we got burned by BLM in the past and I do not support providing them with any trail info. Id rather have unmapped trails implied as closed then mapped trails officially closed. I also expressed our conflict of interest mapping extreme trails. Our preference is to run new to you extreme trails by going with a trail boss that will show you the way, not give a map to all who are incapable and hope for the best. Its a matter of public safety and trail preservation. I also gave then the run down on past unjustified closures, like Overdoes being a Category II tortoise habitat and Martinez not being a seasonal closure as was proposed. When the plan is complete and ready for public input we should provide our feedback.

According to game and fish. Chimney rock is currently "closed" the road to it is not approved/mapped. They could not guarantee continued access to three feathers but is it highly unlikely they would take on a closure of that magnitude.

Then we went wheeling and had a great time.
Joel drove the manche down three feathers and up the chute. Did good for his first wheeling trip. It didnt phase him at all. I guess riding passenger for me for so many years made him kinda numb to off camber.
Attachments
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby DUMASS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Well played good sir!
:cheers:

Am I understanding that homeowners adjacent to the main access road are expressing objections to our continued ability to utilize Reddington Rd., as was done in the Charoleau Gap 4x4 Road #736 access closure?

You may recall that access to FR 736 had to be re-routed due to complaints from adjacent property owners situated upon the "public road" access to FR #736 (Via E. Edwin Rd. to S. Santa Monica Tr. to E. Heilo Rd aka SW 89 Ct. aka FR #736).
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lago+del+ ... a&t=h&z=15

That access had to be re-established via the access ROW, currently in use across AZ State Trust Land. If this is a potential "alternative", that will be considered to abate impact to local property owners, you'd better get on this hard and quick, as it took years and substantial funds, (not to mention the thousands of "Volunteer Hours", AZGFD man-hours and AZSTL man-hours in addition to equipment and services costs with which the various tax-payer funded agencies were burdened) to re-locate cactus and other vegetation in the path of the ROW, to obtain the right of way (ROW) we now enjoy in accessing Charoleau Gap.

(In other words: Friends of Reddington, do you fuckers realize that we had to build a road, where there was no road, to abate your whiny bitch ass complaints? That means you aren't "saving the planet" by trying to deny the public access to public land, you are in fact destroying untouched desert so you can be a feel-good NIMBY.) :roll:

Congratulations to all involved in defending our rights to enjoy Public Land. You guys ARE the tip of the spear!

:cheers:
PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
American Communications Association v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382,442
DUMASS
...DICK

Unread postby geeo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:05 pm

They don't care about the planet, the environment or anything except themselves and their property values.
geeo
Training Wheels

Unread postby DanB98TJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Ashman wrote:According to game and fish. Chimney rock is currently "closed" the road to it is not approved/mapped.

Is it the entire trail that is closed, or just the short trail from the "road" to and Chimney Rock itself? Years ago, when I was still involved in a local club, we were told that driving on the rocks of and around Chimney Rock was off-limits, but the road that goes just north of there was fine. If I recall, that is a numbered road (not to say they won't close it anyway), but have yet to find my topo maps after the move....
Now:
1996 XJ, 4.0L/AW4/NP242
HP D30/8.25, 3.55 & open both ends. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50x15 BFG ATs. Homemade rocker protection & front bumper.
Before:
1998 TJ, 4.0, 5-speed
Lifted with 35's. D44/HP D30 with 4.88s and Detroits. Tera 4:1, 2-low. Homemade bumpers and lots of armor
DanB98TJ
Training Wheels

Unread postby USMC GUNNY » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes the trail is still open. Chimney rock area where every one tries shit out as is "closed".
USMC GUNNY
Training Wheels

Unread postby DanB98TJ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks - that is one of my favorite trails, and I was going to be really upset if they closed the entire trail.

It was my understanding that the rocks themselves have always been off limits but it was not well publicized. I never have understood why - it's not like you can really damage the rocks - but logic doesn't always apply when it comes to land use issues....
Now:
1996 XJ, 4.0L/AW4/NP242
HP D30/8.25, 3.55 & open both ends. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50x15 BFG ATs. Homemade rocker protection & front bumper.
Before:
1998 TJ, 4.0, 5-speed
Lifted with 35's. D44/HP D30 with 4.88s and Detroits. Tera 4:1, 2-low. Homemade bumpers and lots of armor
DanB98TJ
Training Wheels

Return to Arizona Runs