Moab March 29-April 2

Post upcoming runs here

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Moab March 29-April 2

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Moab, Area BFE and more, right after EJS... :cheers:

Is anyone interested in joining us after Dirt Riot/EJS for a few days of wheeling BFE, etc? I have been wanting to get back and run Green Day again and a few others (Pritchet has been on the list for years). But we need to get a few other rigs together to make it happen...

The Dirt Riot event is at the end of EJS week, and I am going up to spectate/photograph Dirt Riot which is going down March 29 and 30. All are welcome to join in on the fun!

See Dirt Riot thread on Pirate here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1161249-dirt-riot-mountain-series-areabfe-moab-ut-march-30-a.html

If there's a night run or something we can put together for the 29th and/or 30th I am in, but the general idea was to chill, camp out, and spectate/photograph Dirt Riot at BFE, then stick around after the event for a few days (when the heeps start their mass exodus) and get in some wheeling Sunday, March 31-Tuesday, April 2.

So, who wants to hit Moab right after Dirt Riot? Should be great weather, and the trails will be freshly marked from EJS, which can help with route-finding.

Let me know if you're up for wheelin' Moab! Let's do this! :cool:

~John
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Re: Moab March 29-April 2

Unread postby Ashman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm

I raced dirt riot last year it was a blast, Im gonna have to miss it this year. Still doing maintenance from KOH.

They showed me on xtreme 4x4 two weekends ago for the EJS dirt riot race. Xtreme will be out there filming again this year.
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Right on, Ashman. It seems that Area BFE Dirt Riot event is pretty well liked among the racers, which makes me feel good about going out and taking part. Should be a good time! Sorry you won't be able to make it this year. Saw you kicking up dust out at KOH and it sure looked like fun! Good luck getting the rig back in shape.
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Unread postby gpn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 pm

John-

I used to live in moab and I've got a couple friends that might want to go run with you if you need some more company. Most are 37+ locked etc etc. I probably won't be back up there until the middle of April... I think I'll be there from april-november. I seem to be float between Flag and Moab...
'99 XJ
4.88's, lockers, rockrails, long arms, custom "self-clearancing" mods
gpn
Training Wheels

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

gpn wrote:John-

I used to live in moab and I've got a couple friends that might want to go run with you if you need some more company. Most are 37+ locked etc etc. I probably won't be back up there until the middle of April... I think I'll be there from april-november. I seem to be float between Flag and Moab...

You've picked a good area to float in. I lived in Flag for 6 years, and head to Moab every chance I get. Sounds like a good group to run with... Please feel free to direct them to this thread. Be great if they come out! Its always hard to put a good crew together for Moab, because its so far from the other wheelers I know. The best turnout we ever had was ten rigs, and so many broke by day 5 we were down to just me and one Tacoma. I've done plenty of wheeling with just mine and one other rig, and small groups are fun. But ideally I'd like to get 5 or 6 solid for a Moab trip. I'll most likely be back again in late April for another Moab trip. So I might catch up with you then.
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Unread postby gpn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Stealth 4x4 wrote:
gpn wrote:John-

You've picked a good area to float in. I lived in Flag for 6 years, and head to Moab every chance I get. Sounds like a good group to run with... Please feel free to direct them to this thread. Be great if they come out! Its always hard to put a good crew together for Moab, because its so far from the other wheelers I know. The best turnout we ever had was ten rigs, and so many broke by day 5 we were down to just me and one Tacoma. I've done plenty of wheeling with just mine and one other rig, and small groups are fun. But ideally I'd like to get 5 or 6 solid for a Moab trip. I'll most likely be back again in late April for another Moab trip. So I might catch up with you then.

Sounds good! I think I'll actually be living in the shit hole called monticello, but that is only 45 miles from BFE!

I think you'd like those guys. One even drives some pos propane 20re truggy. ARe you going to keep this thread updated then?
'99 XJ
gpn
Training Wheels

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah, I'll post any updates here. What specifically were you looking for? Again, the general idea is to camp in the BFE area, attend Dirt Riot, and then wheel Sunday, March 31st, Monday April 1st, and Tuesday April 2nd... then head back to Arizona on the 3rd.

Traditionally whenever we go to Moab we just sit down at the campfire with whoever showed up, open the book and pick a trail to run when get there, but we usually end up at some of our favorites. I know that for the next Moab trip in late April we'll be running the Trifecta - (Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim), Cliffhanger, Hells Revenge and a few others. So for this one I'd be leaning towards some different trails. Whatever we run its always a good time in Moab and things might change but off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind getting out to hit Green Day, Behind the Rocks and Pritchett.
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Unread postby gpn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Stealth 4x4 wrote:Yeah, I'll post any updates here. What specifically were you looking for? Again, the general idea is to camp in the BFE area, attend Dirt Riot, and then wheel Sunday, March 31st, Monday April 1st, and Tuesday April 2nd... then head back to Arizona on the 3rd.

Traditionally whenever we go to Moab we just sit down at the campfire with whoever showed up, open the book and pick a trail to run when get there, but we usually end up at some of our favorites. I know that for the next Moab trip in late April we'll be running the Trifecta - (Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim), Cliffhanger, Hells Revenge and a few others. So for this one I'd be leaning towards some different trails. Whatever we run its always a good time in Moab and things might change but off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind getting out to hit Green Day, Behind the Rocks and Pritchett.

I've run pritchett and behind the rocks. Those are just plain ole fun. Hunter canyon is fun too. I think that is the name. It is just a little play area on the way out from pritchett. I haven't had a good opportunity to run my rig on any BFE trails but it would be fine. I like it all. I'll go run anything. Although hells and stuff is only fun if you run the escalator and hells gate and stuff. It is the most fun to take people on it who are new to wheeling. Scares the crap out of them! The trifecta can be fun. I love wheeling poison spider at night under a full moon. It is a lot of fun.

I'll see about getting the jeep together for TM this weekend. I'll talk to the GF and see if she wants to go out Sunday. I'm thinking if we could wrap it up mid-afternoon it would work out. She has to drive back to Tucson on sunday.

When it comes to wheeling my attitude is: I brought it on a trailer, as long as I can get it back on the trailer I'm in good shape! If it the roof is caved in the axles broke who cares!
'99 XJ
gpn
Training Wheels

Unread postby Ashman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I bet they will have at least 25 4400 cars racing dirt riot and afew thousand spectators.
Throw some gang signs for me.... intimidate them..
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Done! Let the intimidation commence. :whip: Great vid.
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Unread postby DUMASS » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Ashman wrote:Im gonna have to miss it this year. Still doing maintenance from KOH.

PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
American Communications Association v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382,442
DUMASS
...DICK

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

I received a PM from a guy who has a small group of 2 Toyotas that'll be in Moab for EJS. He wants to run the Trifecta on the morning of Friday, March 29. Tentatively, we'll be at the trailhead at 0830.

I heard a rumor today about trail closures in Moab during EJS week. Can anyone shed any light on this? I was hoping to just check the EJS schedule for Friday and run something that is not on the schedule of official EJS trails for that day.. that way I'd avoid the event crowd and not get in their way. Any truth to the rumor that trails not being run as a part of EJS get shut down during EJS week? This was the first I'd ever heard of it. Thanks

***EDIT***
I just got off the phone with a nice lady at the desk of the Tourism and Information Center for the City of Moab, and she referred me to a schedule (page 43 of the following link) http://www.rr4w.com/online-mag.cfm

The schedule shows the trails which will be closed to the public (only on the dates that EJS is running them). Since none of the trifecta trails are shown as being run on Friday, they should be open. This is per the official Tourism and Information Center for the City of Moab. And she knew right where to go for the information I was asking for.

So at this point, I am going to trust her information and say its game on for the Trifecta on Friday. :boobies:
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:27 am

:rockon: Bump it up for Moab!
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Unread postby Stealth 4x4 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am

Well, I trashed the rear driveshaft at AZRocks and the driveline shop is still building me a new one... should have been done by now, but it isn't. It won't be ready in time for me to head up to Moab as planned. So hopefully it'll be done in time to head up later than planned and still salvage a few days of wheeling.
Stealth 4x4
Training Wheels

Return to Arizona Runs