Scout EFI conversion

Post your Binder related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Scout EFI conversion

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 am

Here is my EFI install I did on my 76 Scout Terra although it would be similiar to any engine or truck. Straight forward using JY parts and off the shelf parts. It help if your good with wiring diagrams and/or have a buddy thats awesome with wires, but anyone can figure it out. Its pretty well documented process, so I wont try to do something thats already out there...this thread is solely for a "guide" and to more or less brag. :D However..I would be happy to help if anyone has any questions..expecially if they have a scout. :flipoff:

I also have to say thanks to "Just a Scout" I made him do my harness because its second nature to him, and he made a 7 day job into 3. Plus, I think he thinks its "fun"...which I have to admit, it was and is. Between me and JAS, we have 4-5 IH EFI conversions under our belts and I must say, this project went like a finely oiled machine. The Scout fired right up after the last wire was soldered and only took about 3 days from start to finish.

The parts I used:

Wiring harness from 89 GM pickup.
ECM part #1227727. There are others, but dont recall the number.
Throttle body from same truck
adapter
HP fuel pump
EFI rated hose and clamps
map sensor
o2 sensor
module
tfi style coil
coolant temp sensor

And in case of my scout, I needed to mod the distributer to accept a magnetic pickup so the ECM has the proper signal.

Alright. First item was to get rid of all the crap you dont need from the factory wiring harness. Somehow I didnt get a picture of the harness before we thinned out the unused stuff, but the result is impressive. Its amazing how much of the harness you dont need. Here is a picture of what was left and what I used. And the pile of spagetti in the box is what we cut out.

Words of advise: TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO ONE WIRE AT A TIME. Its also VERY, VERY, useful to label each wire as you go. That way, its plug and play once you get the right lengths were you want them.

Attachments
terra EFI conversion 006.jpg
terra EFI conversion 004.jpg
terra EFI conversion 017.jpg
Last edited by BornReadyBinder on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:07 am

While JAS messed with wires, I started on what I did best. Remove the Carb, fuel lines and fuel pump. I also used a BB chevy fuel pump block off plate to cover the hole and clean up the clutter a bit.

Second thing I tackled was the 02 sensor and bung. You could buy a fancy bung for your 02 sensor, but its not needed. I simply used a sparkplug anti fouler and trimmed it down.

Attachments
terra EFI conversion 024.jpg
terra EFI conversion 028.jpg
terra EFI conversion 030.jpg
terra EFI conversion 018.jpg
Last edited by BornReadyBinder on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:11 am

Next, you need a hole saw and you want to drill a hole in your exhaust as close the manifold as possible. Either side will work.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 031.jpg
terra EFI conversion 032.jpg
terra EFI conversion 033.jpg
terra EFI conversion 034.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:28 am

Now comes routing the High pressure fuel hose. You'll need 3/8 for the pressure side and 5/16 for the return. I used about 25 ft. total. You can also used multi purpose hose from napa...but I find it very difficult to work with and bend.

The fuel pump is for a Ford pickup frame mounted application. I also plummed in a EFI rated filter. Its also a good idea to have a pre pump filter, but in this case, I didnt do it because I am super confident my tank is clean.

I also utilized some of the factory GM lines that connect to the back of the throttle body. It thought it turned out nice. I also recommend a inline fuel pressure gauge. I found the adapter on ebay for $30 and it came with the gauge. You can see it mounted in back of the TB in some of the finishing photos.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 037.jpg
terra EFI conversion 040.jpg
terra EFI conversion 051.jpg
terra EFI conversion 049.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:37 am

Next is converting the (in my case) stock Holley dizzy. Basically, this is a whole other thread in its self, so I am only highlighting the basics.

Basically, all you do is disasemble the dizzy and machine down the point lobes on the shaft and fasten a Ford duraspark plate, reluctor, and ford pickup coil. And because its EFI, you simply tack the dizzys mechanicle advance since the computer now controls your timing.

For some reason I lost have my pics of the steps involved, but you should be able to get the idea.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 041.jpg
terra EFI conversion 047.jpg
terra EFI conversion 011.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:39 am

Ok. Break for lunch. I will finish part 2 of this thread after lunch unless someone puts me to work...in which case, part 2 will come soon. :naughty:
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 035.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TallGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:05 pm

You guys did good! How does it run compared to before?
TallGuy

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:02 pm

TallGuy wrote:You guys did good! How does it run compared to before?

Awesome. Took me a couple days to find where the engine liked the initial timing, but she runs very good now and after several months, its been trouble free.

The Frisco run was kinda embarresing because I had the timing too far retarded..but she'll light em up now.

Also, I am running a stock PROM in the ECM so there is mucho improvment to be had there. Someday soon I hope to be able to make my own chips so I dont have to pay a bunch of money for one. But until then it has very acceptable performance. 10 times better than a carb.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TallGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:53 pm

You have any spare stock chips laying around? I'm just curious to see if my truck will run any different with a non - AFI chip.

Cool stuff! Glad it runs better now, I knew you weren't happy with it up there.
TallGuy

Unread postby WALLACE » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:48 pm

friggen sweet Jared.
88 JIMMY, 44/14BFF 4.56'S 208 SLE SM 465 350TBI 35'S BFG MUD
WALLACE
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 am

Ok. Next is a bracket I made to hold my ignition module, Coil, and fuse strips. The module is easiest mounted near the coil so you can plug it in, but it doesnt matter. You'll just have to extend your wires from factory. Plus, i really like how it cleans up under the hood. Here is the basic bracket. I really wanted to make one out of aluminuim, but since I didnt have any and it was a fast project, I just used steel.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 044.jpg
terra EFI conversion 064.jpg
terra EFI conversion 069.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:44 am

Here is the TBI mounted. Pretty straight forward with the adapter. Notice the fuel pressure gauge.

EDIT: just want to point out I usually make my own adapter plates out of aluminium, but my wife bought me the adapter plate for my b-day a year or 2 back and I decided to use it. :naughty:
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 019.jpg
terra EFI conversion 020.jpg
terra EFI conversion 021.jpg
terra EFI conversion 057.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 am

Next comes the semi tedious job of cutting a hole in your firewall and running the ECM wires to their correct location, length, soder and heat shrink. Of course, I again recruited JAS because he has mad electrical skills and I dont get a migrain. Again, patience is key, so is double and triple checking your work. Im telling you, Paul did it blindfolded. :bow2: Of course, I supervised so there was no way we were screwing up. :D

But really, this part isnt bad. Notice the blue masking tape that identifies every single wire?

You dont have to do it this way, but we do because it allows us to make every wire the correct length for a real clean look under hood when its all said and done. Plus, it allows you to double check your work...less error IMO. To each his own though...I have done it either way.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 054.jpg
terra EFI conversion 055.jpg
terra EFI conversion 056.jpg
terra EFI conversion 058.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 am

Here is the map sensor mounted on firewall and the fuel pump relay mounted next to the w/w resevoir.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 059.jpg
terra EFI conversion 060.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:09 am

Ok. Here is the shot from the glove box. This is where my ECM will be located. I also drilled a hole for the check SES light(not pictured) and also installed my diagnostic plug in there too. The other cool thing I did was hook a toggle switch up so I can flash the trouble codes in case I dont have a scanner with me to help diagnose a problem....of course, a paper clip works well too. :D

And that pretty much buttons it up. The final pics show all the wires in nice loom and a clean engine bay.

Starts right up, cold or hot, no pumping or choke, runs upside down and about 2mpg better so far. Cant get any better than that.

I also will gather all the useful part numbers for everything I used so there here for future reference. I will update that later.

Thanks for looking. :thumb:
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 065.jpg
terra EFI conversion 066.jpg
terra EFI conversion 067.jpg
terra EFI conversion 072.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:19 am

finished product.
Attachments
terra EFI conversion 075.jpg
terra EFI conversion 076.jpg
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:24 pm

BornReadyBinder wrote: The other cool thing I did was hook a toggle switch up so I can flash the trouble codes in case I dont have a scanner with me to help diagnose a problem....

Very nice work and i love that idea of the toggle switch for the trouble codes. my dia plug is in difficult spot and is a PIA to get to without removing the batt. I'll have to hook this up one of these days.. :bow2:
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 pm

TallGuy wrote:You have any spare stock chips laying around?

Ya, one of these days bring my shirt by and I'll swap ya.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Toyman1994 wrote:
BornReadyBinder wrote: The other cool thing I did was hook a toggle switch up so I can flash the trouble codes in case I dont have a scanner with me to help diagnose a problem....

Very nice work and i love that idea of the toggle switch for the trouble codes. my dia plug is in difficult spot and is a PIA to get to without removing the batt. I'll have to hook this up one of these days.. :bow2:

Yes, it works very well. I suggest mounting the toggle in a really secret place so your kids dont flip it going down the road and flip you you in diag. mode. ask me how I know. :D
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Jess » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:40 pm

haven't been on in a while. That's a nice system. You runnin the duraspark reluctor and dodge pickup scheme? I may have to get with you in the future for a quote on buiding me one. Right now I'm on the petronix and have a new holly and can't complain..... buuuuuut.... I have slight stirring in my shorts for electronic ignition and a TB system. someday.
Scout II
800A
F350 SD
Pink Vespa w/ apes and drag pipes.....(someday)
Jess
Training Wheels

Return to Binder Tech