Any other binders?

Post your Binder related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Any other binders?

Unread postby InTheSkin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 am

Alright, well I’ve been lurking here for a while, and seems the Binder forum has been woefully neglected, so figured I’d start.

Name’s Mike, I’m in Marana. I have a Scout. Just one right now.
The story goes that my wife’s grandfather bought he rig new in 1973, and drove the piss out of it thru the mid 90’s when he had a series of strokes. The rig sat, and became home to a host of packrats. In 2005, he passed, and his wife started passing on his belonging to the grands and great-grands. It turned out no one wanted the Scout, so after a few months of prodding, I got my wife to ask if she (we) could have it. The answer, obviously, was yes. We drug it home and the carnage began. It took me about 3.5 years, with a few detours along the way, but you can see what I accomplished.

The biggest pieces are 1973 Scout
1980 Scout D44 axles, nodular iron housing, improved caster
IH 345, 727, D20 transfer
4” lift springs, with reverse shackle on the front
New Bushings and mounts throughout
Hydroboost
And a few other odds and ends

I did all the work including body and paint (though some parts of that are nothing to be proud of, I still did it). I only outsourced the exhaust the drive shaft fab.

It’s not a terribly hard core ‘wheeler, but I built it and I’m pretty damned proud of that fact. The truck is mostly done. I need to finish up some sort of interior, and I would like to get a more substantial cage bent up, but that will come.

Before:

After:

I’ve already got my eye on the next victim. It turned out that parked next to the scout was my wifes great grandfathers 1953 Willys Wagon. The opportunity came up, so it looks like I have a chance to bring this one back from the dead. The plan at this point is:

1953 Willys Wagon body
1980 Blazer frame
4” spring lift, 37” tires
14 bolt rear (9.5”), D44 front (unit I can find 1 tons)
454, SM465, NP205

InTheSkin
Training Wheels

Unread postby Twistedtrik » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 am

Talk to Jared, he goes by BornReadyBinder on here. :thumb:
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax, Allison 6 speed SFA using AAM 9.25, coilovers and 4 link, bagged and guaged, 37x13.5 Pro Comps on 20x10 USA Forged Marauders.

2001 Chevy 1500 Z71 (wifes) 6" lift, 35s

1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe 98 glass front end, 6" lift, 35s, 396 big block

http://www.dunercentral.com/

1tonCJ wrote:I just did a google search for "Monster Trannies". that was a really bad idea!! if you are going to google it, be sure to spell out "TRANSMISSION""
Twistedtrik
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby InTheSkin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 am

Yeah, I know Jared... he built my distributor and provided a steering column for the Scout. Good guy, lots of Scouts.
InTheSkin
Training Wheels

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Mike, help me get this forum going since I prolly will get kicked out SDS and Binderplanet. :D

I plan on documenting my next builds and get some tech going real soon. Need all the binder guys we can get. :thumb:
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TallGuy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Finally something cool in the Binder forum - a Willys! I'd rather have a pick up version... man I need to find another one. :D
TallGuy

Unread postby InTheSkin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:52 pm

I'll do what I can. I can prolly get a few others guys over here... we were just talking about the SDS crew a little while ago, and why were aren't more involved. Then all this 'whatnot' going on now. its just dumb.

If they kick out someone like you for dealing with that garbage the way you did, then I don't want anything to do with them either.

BornReadyBinder wrote:Mike, help me get this forum going since I prolly will get kicked out SDS and Binderplanet. :D

I plan on documenting my next builds and get some tech going real soon. Need all the binder guys we can get. :thumb:
InTheSkin
Training Wheels

Unread postby Jess » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 pm

I is here.

(You know. The binderer formerly known as crnbndr123....)

Far out. What a bunch of horse excrement! I had to leave a parting post. Yeah, I got a little taste of that clown's crap a long time ago and just totally wrote off the SDS after. There's some good folks there, but I don't care for the rest of the hoorah. Anyways.

HI!
Jess
Training Wheels

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:47 pm

cool, now both of you go intro yourselves to everyone ;) :p

Nice to see something in here. That is a really nice scout! I like the Willy's too. I drove one around when I used to work on a ranch growing up. Always alot of fun.
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:51 am

Hey Jess, you and Mike wanna go wheeling at the Gap this weekend? :naughty:

Just kidding..I already made other plans..but we need to get together and wheel. Mike has done some very nice suspension work to his scout and I need to try out my SOA on my Terra.

Glad you guys got my back on here. We got people on here that think IH needed AMC for their parts and I am too lazy to correct them...so I let them think what they want. :D

Later.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Just a Scout » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 pm

lol you guys are funny ! We should go to the gap run !
TG you dont need a willys ! you need tires ! or rims ! or or or
If your rig cant make the drive to the trail what makes you think it can make the trail !
Just a Scout
Training Wheels

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Just a Scout wrote:lol you guys are funny ! We should go to the gap run !
TG you dont need a willys ! you need tires ! or rims ! or or or

That's GOOD paul :thumb:
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby Just a Scout » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:49 pm

or...or....a new motor or....or a mountainaire(or what ever a merc exploder is called) or....or....
LMAO !
If your rig cant make the drive to the trail what makes you think it can make the trail !
Just a Scout
Training Wheels

Unread postby TallGuy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:27 pm

My engine runs fine now that I replaced every electrical part on it. :flipoff: All I lack is wheels. I had a guy yesterday that was gonna sell me his, but they turned out to be 5 on 135 instead of the 5 on 5.5 that he thought they were.

Maybe I'll buy some dodge wheels and grind out the centers.... :D

So did you sell that big blue land yacht? I see it parked at another guys house down the road....

When are we gonna race orange mobiles?
TallGuy

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:55 am

Hey guys...please dont cheapen this forum. :flipoff: Go start a BS thread somewhere else.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby bigmookied » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:38 pm

What's up guys I already know from other places.....and the others I may have only talked to in the other forums here.

Would be cool to run the gap, I missed the run this week, sorry I do not pay attention to the crap from the SDS, just like to run and talk to the ones that are cool.

I should be ready again soon, as soon as I get my tranny back in.

Let me know.

Armando
"The Beast/Mule" - 1969 IH Travelall 3/4 Ton 4X4, 345, EB 1405, MSD 6Al, D60 Rear, D44 front. 37" Mils and 24 Bolt wheels. Copper Metallic glory, now too pretty to wheel hard. Looks like I need a Scout to link and wheel now!!!
bigmookied
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Armando!

Unread postby InTheSkin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:30 am

yeah, it looks like we'll get something together soon-ish, hopefully before it gets too hot.

good to see you again

--
Mike
Royce: 1973 IHC Scout 2, 345,727,D20, D44, lifted, locked
Cleve: 1953 Willys Wagon, 1980 K5 frame, 454, 465, 205, 4" lift, 14B, D44
InTheSkin
Training Wheels

Unread postby Just a Scout » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 am

welcome ! Good to see all you guys over here !
Mike the Scout looks great ! its come a long way !

Any one with run ideas speak up !
Just a Scout
Training Wheels

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:59 am

How about the Frisco run?
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby BornReadyBinder » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:30 pm

bigmookied wrote:I should be ready again soon, as soon as I get my tranny back in.

Let me know.

Armando

Let us know when you get the trans in. I am thinking the next weekend or 2 would be good for a run.
BornReadyBinder
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Jess » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:56 am

Until i get new skins on mine I'm either runnin recovery in the F350 or ridin samsonite w/ someone else.

I will make a concerted, honest effort to secure my masculinity this evening and demand access to a credit card from the budget nazi. If it can be done, I may very well be "skinned" one way or another.

I'd sure like to go play with my scout. After new motor, front and rear end, lift and suspension, radiator, etc etc....I'd like to feel some trail under me again. Preferably before it's over 100*!!
Scout II
800A
F350 SD
Pink Vespa w/ apes and drag pipes.....(someday)
Jess
Training Wheels

Unread postby Jess » Wed May 13, 2009 4:10 pm

"Preferably before it's over 100*!!"

to late..... :mad2:
Scout II
800A
F350 SD
Pink Vespa w/ apes and drag pipes.....(someday)
Jess
Training Wheels

Return to Binder Tech