The Pirate Fault

Discuss/post land use issues here

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Erich, Ashman, FroggyJK

The Pirate Fault

Unread postby DUMASS » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm

https://arizonadailyindependent.com/201 ... of-tucson/
The Pirate Fault North of Tucson
Satellite image of the Santa Catalina Mountains and adjacent Tucson and Cañada del Oro basins showing locations of Samaniego Ridge, Pusch Ridge, and Catalina and Oro Valley town sites and approximate traces of the Pirate fault, Sabino Canyon fault, Mogul Fault, Catalina detachment fault, and Romero Pass fault zone

By: Jonathan DuHamel March 5, 2017

The Pirate fault forms the western boundary of the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson and separates the mountains from the Cañada del Oro basin to the west. The fault occurs just east of the communities of Saddlebrooke, Catalina, and Oro Valley. Remnants of this fault, exposed for about 15 miles along the mountain front, are described in a paper from the Arizona Geological Survey (see reference below). The paper describes geological features of 10 sites along the fault trace.

The AZGS says that this fault represents an expression of Basin & Range faulting which was active between 12 million and 6 million years ago. Vertical displacement on the fault is estimated to be about 2.5 miles with the west side down relative to the Santa Catalina Mountains uplift on the east. The fault dips from 50° to 55° west along its entire trace. The Basin & Range era was a time of crustal extension which formed much of the topography in Southern Arizona.

According to AZGS: “ Following cessation of active uplift, the fault was buried under detritus eroded from the uplifted Santa Catalina block and, currently, is being exhumed by the down-cutting Cañada del Oro and its tributaries. This field examination reveals the fault to have left a sparse but diverse collection of remains implying a varied history of fault development and evolution.”

http://repository.azgs.az.gov/sites/def ... rt_v.1.pdf
PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
American Communications Association v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382,442
DUMASS
...DICK

Return to Land Use Issues