Ok, You want Tech, here we go!!!

Post your Suzuki related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Ok, You want Tech, here we go!!!

Unread postby AZLugs » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:14 pm

I picked up an '88 Sami hardtop with 52K miles in great shape for my daughter to drive to school and work. it has tires that are way too skinny and only 27" tall. other than tires it appears to be pretty much stock. She wants to be able to follow us on some of our church group outings that are pretty lame but still ok. She is not an experience driver so this is a learning time for her, lame is ok and she can play in the rocks with me when she grows up and pays for it herself. That being said, my play money goes in my jeep and I do not want to put much in the Sami but she needs a bit more lift and will prolly need bigger tires but needs to keep it driveable on the highway for work.

Here goes the tech part....What can I do (CHEAP) to safely get more ground clearence (1-2") and be able to run bigger tires. Also, I do not have much in the way of fab tech capabilities but I have lots of tools for bolt-ons and I used to be a race crew chief so i know how to use the tools.

Like I said, she don't need a crawler, just a "learn to off road" vehicle

HELP

OK, let the questions commence!
'06 LJ Unlimited, '04 Armada (Tow Rig)
'04 Polaris Sportsman 4x4
'04 Honda Foreman 4x4
'88 Sami (Daughter drives it!!)
AZLugs
Training Wheels

Re: Ok, You want Tech, here we go!!!

Unread postby Ashman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:38 pm

AZLugs wrote:I picked up an '88 Sami hardtop with 52K miles in great shape for my daughter to drive to school and work. it has tires that are way too skinny and only 27" tall. other than tires it appears to be pretty much stock. She wants to be able to follow us on some of our church group outings that are pretty lame but still ok. She is not an experience driver so this is a learning time for her, lame is ok and she can play in the rocks with me when she grows up and pays for it herself. That being said, my play money goes in my jeep and I do not want to put much in the Sami but she needs a bit more lift and will prolly need bigger tires but needs to keep it driveable on the highway for work.

Here goes the tech part....What can I do (CHEAP) to safely get more ground clearence (1-2") and be able to run bigger tires. Also, I do not have much in the way of fab tech capabilities but I have lots of tools for bolt-ons and I used to be a race crew chief so i know how to use the tools.

Like I said, she don't need a crawler, just a "learn to off road" vehicle

HELP

OK, let the questions commence!

31-33in MTRS would be nice on a sami, its light so it will last for lots of miles. It would be nice to run some less BS rims like 15X8 with 3.5in BS that would give the little sami more stability and make it wider.

I would trim and add as little lift as you can. How wide are the sami leafs?
You can just add some leafs to the packs. You can also look at a small body lift.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby madzukr » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:21 pm

your cheapest 1-2in lift ,will be a body lift.without gearing it you can get away with 225s
if you want to spend some on it, you can do a spoa($15.00 on purches,$25.00 on longer breaklines)then you'll need a drop pittman arm about $90.00 and a set of gears for the t-case(i know where there is a new set of 4-1s for $425.00-gears only)then you'll need to find someone to install the spoa for you.
good luck,if you have any questons about where to get parts let me know.
madzukr
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby azzuki » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:58 pm

The cheapest and easiest lift is some extendeed shakles, I ran some homemade ones on mine for a long time with 235's.
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday
I don't need to understand your Jeep thing, just get my mail delivered on time!!!
azzuki
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby AZLugs » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:59 pm

I was thinking of using the original 30x9.50 tires from my Unlimited. I looked at the springs on the Sami and they are all flat, the backs almost look like they are inverting. I say replacement springs in a add for about $100 a pair that claimed to be a 3" lift, does this sound reasonable and would I still need a drop pitman and possibly longer brake lines? Would that cause problems in the driveability? Is there any other things I would have to cange?

Thanks for all your comments so far, I am looking at those things and mulling everything over.

BTW: I have seen "SAS" many times here in reference to buildups, could someone tell me what this is.

THANKS AGAIN
'06 LJ Unlimited, '04 Armada (Tow Rig)
'04 Polaris Sportsman 4x4
'04 Honda Foreman 4x4
'88 Sami (Daughter drives it!!)
AZLugs
Training Wheels

Unread postby madzukr » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:02 pm

$100.00 for a 3in lift spring is good,but you got to watch out some ride pretty ruff(rancho,BDS).you could try a stock front CJ for the rear and move your rears up front(you take out the bottom overload and install the 2 lower springs from the front packs) and should work in a stock spring under.longer breaklines won't hurt,and you'll need a drop pittman.
for the CJs on the rear you'll need the relocation brackets and longer shackles for both front and rear.much better ride.
as for SAS,that means Straight Axel Swap.that is done on independent frontends to put a straight axel on the front.

Azlugs i sent you a pm,give me a call :thumb:
madzukr
Boggers
Boggers

Return to Suzuki Tech