Toy axle swap question for samurai people

Post your Suzuki related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Toy axle swap question for samurai people

Unread postby Redyoder » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:16 pm

I have a friend with a Samurai. He wants to put a set of 84' toy axles under it. What problems are there with this swap? Dose the rear axle need to be modified because the rear drive shaft of the Samurai is not on center? Any info will be most appreciated. :D
Pile of parts including, but not limited to; Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Volvo, and a few of my own.
Redyoder
Training Wheels

Unread postby madzukr » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:20 pm

have'nt done it myself yet .but i did copy a discription from someone that has.
there are a few kit out there also.

The front perches need to be moved closer together on the Toy axle by about 3/4" Since the passenger side perch is impossible to move inward due to the diff, people usually just move the drivers side perch. The axle sits 3/8" to one side, but is hardly noticeable unless you really look. On the REAR, both perches will need to be moved inward on the axle by a few inches. I think it was about 2" each side, but you can figure this out by measuring between the front spring mounts for the rear springs and then place the perches accordingly. I just used a grinder to grind the original perches off and re-welded the same perches inboard. The stock shackles and hangers do NOT need to be changed if you don't want to. They do not hold the weight of the axles, only the BODY, which is the SAME as it was before. You will see more axle wrap with larger tires and toy axles, so most people do a traction bar(I actually had one on ebay for a toy axle in a samurai last week--didn't sell at $90--used). And after all that, I would like to suggest doing massive reading on the topic. There are a lot of posts about this and you'll need to do a lot of research to decide what you want. I've heard a lot of people are happy with the YJ leaf springs, from 4-6 leaf packs. It won't be cheap though
madzukr
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby 4alarm » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:31 pm

After reading that... Just build a new set of front spring hangers. You could just build a bracket that would move the spring/shackle mounts inboard. For the rear, cut off the old spring perches, reuse them if you can or buy new ones (I picked up a set at a local 4x4 shop for $25). Just set them on the axle and install the rear axle on the springs loosly. Then slide the axle side to side measuring from the outer portion of the axle to the springs center pin until both sides match. Point the pinion up to the desired angle, and tack weld the perches in place. Remove the axle and finish the welds, then reassemble.
-Josh
'70 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Build-up HERE!
'02 Toyota Sequoia
'08 Infiniti G35
TLCA Member #14566
My pictures: http://www.parrish-family.net
4alarm
19 Apr 1980 - 1 Nov 2008

Unread postby Redyoder » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:08 pm

Thanks for the tips! My buddie already has the YJ springs and som other traction adding devices. Moving the spring perches shouldent be a big deal. I gather that the funny drive line angle isn't much of a problem? Has anyone gone so far as chopping the rear axle to move the pumkin over?
Pile of parts including, but not limited to; Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Volvo, and a few of my own.
Redyoder
Training Wheels

Unread postby madzukr » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:27 pm

Redyoder wrote:Thanks for the tips! My buddie already has the YJ springs and som other traction adding devices. Moving the spring perches shouldent be a big deal. I gather that the funny drive line angle isn't much of a problem? Has anyone gone so far as chopping the rear axle to move the pumkin over?

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

look under suzuki and then drivetrain,they have a toyota hybred.
madzukr
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby Redyoder » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks for the tips :thumb:
Redyoder
Training Wheels

Unread postby signguy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 pm

i put toyota axles in my sammy and i used a front toyota driveshaft (with the cv joint) in the rear. it had to be shortened but it works. i also angled the transfer case a little with a custom mount setup and that helped too, the driveshaft holes lined up on one end and the other just needed to be drilled out a little bit... i drove it everyday even on the highway for almost a year :thumb:
signguy
Training Wheels

Unread postby chuggins143 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:24 pm

signguy wrote:i put toyota axles in my sammy and i used a front toyota driveshaft (with the cv joint) in the rear. it had to be shortened but it works. i also angled the transfer case a little with a custom mount setup and that helped too, the driveshaft holes lined up on one end and the other just needed to be drilled out a little bit... i drove it everyday even on the highway for almost a year :thumb:

You just replied to a post that was 3 years old. Too funny! :D
New DD - 2003 Toy Quadcab Prerunner

Soon to be truggy from this carcass!
RIP! - 85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby signguy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:29 pm

well maybe the info will help someone else smart guy :flipoff3:
signguy
Training Wheels

Unread postby chuggins143 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 am

Enhance your calm, :roll: Wasn't trying to be a smart allelic I just thought it was humorous that's all...

:thumb:

C
New DD - 2003 Toy Quadcab Prerunner

Soon to be truggy from this carcass!
RIP! - 85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Loco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Ill be the smart ass.. Hahahaha you just replied to a thread that was 3 years old! Then you were a dick about it hahahaha! :zzz:
Kyle Prettyman
Loco Offroad
Loco
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby TallGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:25 pm

And now you add that 3 months later? :D
TallGuy

Unread postby Loco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:18 pm

TallGuy wrote:And now you add that 3 months later? :D

Its part of the joke! :D Im just feeling goofy today and I have a wierd sense of humor
Kyle Prettyman
Loco Offroad
Loco
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:11 pm

damn you guys kill me :roll:

:D :laughing:
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TallGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Loco wrote:
TallGuy wrote:And now you add that 3 months later? :D

Its part of the joke! :D Im just feeling goofy today and I have a wierd sense of humor

I wondered about that.

Shoulda waited 3 years. :flipoff:
TallGuy

Unread postby Loco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:21 pm

I dont have that kinda time!
Kyle Prettyman
Loco Offroad
Loco
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby bakednaz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Dang Loco, your on one today!! Its all good :p