arb air lockers

Post your Suzuki related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

arb air lockers

Unread postby rabidray » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:49 am

ive got a set of arb,s loaded up with 5.12 tracker gears in the front and a tracker rear third and a brand new hybred rear houseing from trail tough.....

i havent ever run lockers before but iam told i will like the arb,s......

my current setup is an 87 sammy with a 1.6 8v sammy tranny grs I t-case hybred rear houseing with 4.62 gears and open diffs a spring over on stock springs 33 inch uniroyal mt.s and a warn 8k winch and an sj-410 t-case mounted drum parking brake.............

i used to live in phoenix but had too move too indiana because of my job and its looking like ill be moveing too tennesee in about 6 months.....

i am hopeping that by next fall ill be able too take a few weeks off and come out too az and see some old freinds and do a lot of wheeling......

oh yah i also have an 84 sj-410 hard top that i might actually bui ld some day if i ever get enough time ;)
rabidray
Training Wheels

Unread postby rabidray » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:57 pm

well ive had the arb,s in for a couple weeks and i love em.........i have found that the rear locker is wonderfull for icy roads i know that sounds weird but it is a lot more stable with the rear locked.......

with the rrear open i would keep loseing traction and it would kick the rear end one way or another .......engage the locker and it tracks as staight as an arrow avery good thing...................
rabidray
Training Wheels

Unread postby 4alarm » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:48 am

That is weird. With the rear locked, you should have big problems on the ice in turns because your forcing one of your tires to loose traction.
4alarm
19 Apr 1980 - 1 Nov 2008

Unread postby Erich » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:18 am

4alarm wrote:That is weird. With the rear locked, you should have big problems on the ice in turns because your forcing one of your tires to loose traction.

Same thing I thought. Too bad we can't test that theory down here in the land of 'neverfreeze'

:D
I'll just say that this is a damned funny line, and if anyone wants to put it in their sig, I'll allow it, because it really should be remembered and memorialized. -Pazuzu

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34)
Erich
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TallGuy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:52 pm

I tested it up on Mt. Graham this last weekend. There was plenty of snow on the roads, and I noticed when it was icy that I would slide a little more than usual. When I got up past where the road was plowed, I never slipped at all. It loved the deeper, powdery snow. All in all, I like the difference in traction. You may lose some lateral traction, but forward/backward movement is much better.

I don't know if I'd travel very fast with it though. Don't like the idea of plunging over the edge of the cliff. :wtf:
TallGuy

Unread postby rabidray » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:15 am

i was only going 25 to 30 mph in 4th and 5th gear .......

it would break traction less like this.......but overall i like it.......

we have had lots of snow here recently ......i have found that my sammy can still move in 4.5 to 5 feet of snow ........it just wont climb out of the ditch with that much snow.......the arbs are a good thing......

last sunday i rescued a dodge power wagon ....it was on 475 west and was half off the road and high centered the front end on the opposite side of the ditch.......the snow on the dirt road was averaging 2.5 too 3.5 feet deep{it had not been plowed yet} it took about ten minutes to go 250 feet to get within reach of the 80 feet of winch cable ive got on my warn 8000.......someone with a plow eqiuped f350 deisel came out too play and gave me an anchor too pull the guy the rest of the way back on to the road.........

i know this is sad and boreing but its the closest thing ive had too wheeling in months :D
rabidray
Training Wheels

Return to Suzuki Tech