90 suzuki samari jl Will not start?

Post your Suzuki related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

90 suzuki samari jl Will not start?

Unread postby bigobambam » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:44 am

Got this samari in and customer complains that he just purchased it. It started and run when he bought it. One day he went to start it and crank no start and after a bit of time trying, it started ran for enough time to warm up and died. after he cleaned the tank out and new fuel,plugs, etc. he could getb it to run once in a while for very short periods of time(3-5 min). He towed it to me and I pulled the dist cap and found a broken p/up in the dist. replaced it with new after market part and it will not fire up to save my soul.
I then went to check signals at the pickup coil and my signals are good. Still crank no spark. went to a-12 circuit orange at ecm and should have2-4 volts while cranking. I got 0 volts. I do have battery voltage in the white wire feed to the ecm. Also I only have 1 volt referance on the a6 terminal when I should have 3-5 volts by my data on hand. I have checked grounds and they all are good. Does this mean that the ecm is bad? I do not have alot of data/referance to work from here and could use some assistance. Help if you can! :mad2:
1987 F-250 Fordman A bad day on the trails is better than any day at work
bigobambam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: 90 suzuki samari jl Will not start?

Unread postby TallGuy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Sounds to me like the ecm if voltage is coming in but not going out. Guess ya need another ecm to test it...
TallGuy

Unread postby bigobambam » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah probably...... but don't have a single one to pull from. so was hoping someone out there may know a short cut or special test procedure that will 100% fail ecm rather than buy a reman or new one, put it in and still have the same problem.
bigobambam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 am

Oney, check and make sure that ALL wires are actually plugged into the ecm-I had a guys cherokee that the wire wasn't making good contact and it wouldn't start either, it was a power wire coming out of the ecm. The wire had actually came out just enough that it wasn't making any contact with the mating wire, but after further inspection-you could tell it wasn't "plugged" in. Its cheap to check anyways.
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby bigobambam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks Rick, I and doyal have pulled the ecm pigtails from the ecm to inspect,clean and re install as we have been going over this little rig, pinpointing the harness integrity. We feel that connections are good, harness integrity is good and still cranks like crazy and no spark. We run a test opn the igniter and it even tests good. coil tests good. process of elimination takes us back to the ecm..........I think?
bigobambam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 am

I was hoping it was something simple and cheap, but you might be right! That cherokee wound up being taken back to the dealership before the wire was found, they put a new ecm in it, changed a few other electronics until the guy couldn't afford it anymore. I brought it back to the house and let a friend look at it and he is the one that found the bad connection-loose wire at the ecm. The dealership wouldn't reimburse him for the 2500 that they charged him. Oh well, sorry I couldn't help.
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby TallGuy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am

There's a few sammi guys around here. Wonder if any have an ecm laying around?
TallGuy

Unread postby bigobambam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Took ecm out and apart. found problem in the circuit board where the capacitors leaked acid onto the board and ate it away. repaired circuit board and replaced capacitors and we'll see if she will fire pretty soon. We found that suzuki ecm's are prone to this so pass it along fellas as this will happen over time and if your a good electronic tech and have the savy to repair them you can make $$ with those old ones. Thanks again :thumb: :cheers:
bigobambam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Cool, hope it works out.
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby o2bgpn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 am

The early Suzuki Sidkick/Geo Tracker ECMs are prone to the same problem. The caps in the ECM leak and, if left un-fixed, end up destroying the board. My daughter has a 91 Tracker that’s how I know.
I don’t know if the Sidekick and Samurai ECMs are the same, though. A good source of Suzuki information is http://www.suzuki-forums.com. There’s a sub forum for Samurais.
97 XJ, 33's, (r)8.25 locked, (f)D30 limited slip, nerfs, skids, safety equip, etc.

http://borntourist.com
o2bgpn
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby bigobambam » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 am

Well the suzuki did not fire up as the board has been damaged beyond my expertise. The good thing is of coarse, is that we know we need a new ecm or send this one in and have it rebuilt. Thanks for info and we'll be going searching
bigobambam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby azzuki » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 am

I am a little late on this I know but yes the sammi ecm's have a problem with the capacitors leaking, there are some guys that do repair them, if you want I can try to get someone who will do this for you. Or I can try to find one for you.

If interested check this out, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAMURAI- ... 5ade448106, liftime warranty, and quick turnaround.
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday
I don't need to understand your Jeep thing, just get my mail delivered on time!!!
azzuki
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby bigobambam » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks for the offer, we actually did get the sammy going with our repaired ecm. However it does not work right and we did find a reasonable priced one through Merle's in tucson. Got it coming
bigobambam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby azzuki » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Sweet, glad you got it going.
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday
I don't need to understand your Jeep thing, just get my mail delivered on time!!!
azzuki
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Return to Suzuki Tech