extended short vs long arm

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

extended short vs long arm

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:34 pm

So the time has come...I am finally building my 88 xj 2 door. It has the 4.0 and aw4/np231. The plan is to do box4rox/dana300 and hp44/9". So I. Have the frame all plated up. I have my axles. I have the dana 300. Now my holdup is what I want for suspension. I am running about 8" of lift and will probably be upgrading the 35s to 37s or 38s.
I have read and read and read and read some more on several sites... I'm looking for some good feedback on extended short arms from the stock locations(will upgrade the mounts). Or to make a long arm y style or radius arm. What are your thoughts on the 2 choices?
I'm not racist. I'm a nationalist. A taxpayer with a steady job. If that offends you, maybe you need to get a job and contribute to society or find another flag to seek shelter under.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Re: extended short vs long arm

Unread postby Ashman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:57 am

I wouldent do either.

I wouldent do a radius arm suspension like clayton or Rusties they bind, not a good design but will have good road manners for 6-8in.

If by extended arms your thinking the RE drop bracket that is crap.

The skyjacker sub frame with longer arms is ok but not worth the money IMO.

search through the 3 link build threads. Thats what I would do.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816361

I think 8in is too tall for the size tire you want to run. Im like 4.5in over stock with 42in tires...
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby bigredxj » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:10 am

I agree that the 3 link is the way to go...but if you're hard-set on the two options you mentioned, go with the long arm setup...you'll definitely get more suspension travel out of it.
bigredxj
Training Wheels

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am

I keep going back to looking at 3 links as well...I won't be buying any kits...be making all my own junk. By extended arms I mean just longer short arms with some dropped mounts. If I do a 3 link...do I. Have to punch thru the floor? Also...I am staying with the 8" because the xj will mostly be for cruising the river, mud, playing in any kind of snow we get etc. It'll go in the rocks too...but mostly that's why I have the toyota...I have been reading and reading and reading a ton of build threads...just not sure what I am comfortable building yet...
I'm not racist. I'm a nationalist. A taxpayer with a steady job. If that offends you, maybe you need to get a job and contribute to society or find another flag to seek shelter under.
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby Ashman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:41 am

This thread isnt working out so good for you.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924017

I still think its taller then needed, you will get the same answer on pirate because it is a rock crawling focused group. Anything Daily driven, or used for other applications is not well fitting on that forum. Most of the cherokee section is showing how you did what you did and why not asking questions on what to buy or build. Thats just how it is.

I recommended the 3link, for best results you need to go through the floor, read up on 3-links and link calculators that is how you will determine how long and how much separation you want at the axle or frame.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby bigredxj » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm running 8" on my 3 link - I didn't punch through the floor, but the frame end of the upper link is right up against the floorpan. Don't have much vertical separation (probably 6" or so), so it does dive when I brake, but nothing to make it feel unsafe. It's surprisingly very stable around corners on pavement, but flexes like crazy on the trail. Overall, I'm very happy with the way mine came out.
bigredxj
Training Wheels

Unread postby DUMASS » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Ashman wrote:This thread isnt working out so good for you.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924017

That's cause a build like this belongs here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16
These guys will give you the answers you need, forget the cherocar section....not hardcore enough for a build like yours.
PVT Martin Treptow wrote:America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.

U.S. Supreme Court wrote:It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.
American Communications Association v. Douds, 339 U.S. 382,442
DUMASS
...DICK

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm

People assume that others don't read...that's the general assumption.which in most cases is probably correct. But pretty much all I do most of the day while I'm bored at work and home is browse pirate. Naxj. Torra. Rockhard. This site. And others. But with all of that information there are still questions...its the same on all the sites...u have all your cool guy done it all hardasses being in the majority that have forgotten where they started out and would rather talk a bunch of shit then give helpful advice. Then u get your small majority that actually offer good tips. That's why I spread my posts throughout a few sites...get more responses and hopefully get a couple good ones. I posted in the cherokee section cuz its a cherokee. I posted on pirate cuz there are a lot of smart fkrs on that site. Like I said...it'll be used for all different purposes but I like the hieght it has and its good for serving its main purpose. Thanks to those that have helpful advice...
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby jchevy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Ive got Rustys 8" lift coils with a custom 4 link in the front of my cherokee. My lower links are mounted to the bottom of the frame and the upper links are notched into the frame above where the stock upper mounts are. I am happy with it. I run a 42" tire and dont run front fenders. It rubs pretty good at the front of the wheel wells. If had fenders they would be cut a lot. In the rear its totally hacked up with a 4 link.

If you want to keep the majority of your sheet metal i think a 38 or 39" tire would work good. If you plan on chopping up the body I agree with Dave on the 8" lift being more than you need, but i think it would still look good.

Hey dave just curious, do you know the measurement from the bottom of your frame to the garage floor when its just sitting there? Mine is about 26"
1993 XJ

D60 front, Ford 10.25" rear
jchevy
Training Wheels

Unread postby Ashman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 am

jchevy wrote:Hey dave just curious, do you know the measurement from the bottom of your frame to the garage floor when its just sitting there? Mine is about 26"

Id have to measure I dont remember.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ashman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:36 pm

jchevy wrote:Hey dave just curious, do you know the measurement from the bottom of your frame to the garage floor when its just sitting there? Mine is about 26"

I measured 25in at the frame highest point and 23.5 at my skid. I didnt measure the axle tube height to take into account tire pressure height. So maybe Im close to a 6.5-7in lift height with the new coils I put on it. They may settle some after I get some trails on them, your 8in coils have probably had lots of trips on them are they still 8in? The added weight of the cage may have also dropped you down an inch or so.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jchevy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:12 pm

My coils are a couple years old and may have settled. Im sure Ive added some weight with the frame plating and cage work... didnt think of that, it probaby is sitting lower by 1" or 2.
1993 XJ

D60 front, Ford 10.25" rear
jchevy
Training Wheels

Unread postby T.C.'S TOY » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

One thing for sure the long arms protect your driveline to some extend but ive hung mine up so many times I don't care to remember id go or build something like the nth degree bent up and away long arms but in any case would build some kind of shield for the dam driveline..
Opened Pyatte Draw 2001,Hosted BFG Challenge on Pyatte Draw 2006,Sunflower mine trail 2000,Turtle Creek,Lizzurd Creek,Stairstep,Roberts Mesa 2001,Webber Creek 2007,Black Friday,4 Banger 2014, Bad Idea 2014...
T.C.'S TOY
Training Wheels

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm

ha! holy old thread! this brings back memories. and damn ive come a long ways since this. t.c...im the same giy on facebook 3 linking the front of a maroon yota on tons
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Return to Jeep Tech