Ignition issue!

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Ignition issue!

Unread postby bokchoy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Ok i am hitting the internet gods. I am having ignition issues on my 75 CJ5 straight 6 258 :mad2:. I can not get it to fire. What i have done recently:
I have changed plugs, wires, coil, module, cap, rotor, rebuilt carb, replaced fuel pump replaced all filters.

I am getting fuel into the carb, granted it was some nasty looking fuel but fuel non the less. The issue with dirty fuel i resolved today by replacing old metal fuel tank with nice pretty platic one.

I have seen it almost start with about a 5 seconds of run time. What am I missing at the moment? What else can I try? Anybody in the NW area aka Marana that could possibly swing by take a look at it see if i am just missing something stupid?

Ohh I am looking for someones advice on changing my engine mounts. I noticed they were not in the best of condition. The only thing I have at the moment to change them would be a floor jack with 4x4's. Not the most ideal situation but i must do with what i got.

Anyway any information would be aprreciated.

Bok
bokchoy
Training Wheels

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Any chance that you got the plug wires mixed up? You said the "module" is this the square ignition module? Ground wire hooked up? Have you even checked to see if you were getting fire? You can pull a plug out, connect it to the plug wire, have someone else turn it over and you watch for spark-Oh yeah, it needs to be grounded in order for it to spark. Have you tried pouring gas down the carb-a little bit?

As far as motor mounts, if you use the 4x4's and push/lift/jack against the bolts on the pan and ONLY change one side at a time, you will be fine-bust all the bolts loose prior to jacking it up and torquing on it!
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby bokchoy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Yeah i got the wiring correct. Checked my manual first. And yes its the square ignition module. Yeah i know i am getting spark i ended up shocking myself testing it. I have sprayed starting fluid down the carb as well. So no luck on doing that.

And thank you for the advice on the mounts.
bokchoy
Training Wheels

Unread postby TallGuy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:40 pm

I had similar problems recently, and finally tracked it to some bad wires between my module and the distributor. Like you though, I replaced everything I could think of first.

Hope you find it!
TallGuy

Unread postby CHEVYNTOY4X4 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:16 pm

hows the compression?

maybe some stuck valves if its been sitting for awhile
ITS NOT ABOUT HOW FAR YOU GO ITS WHAT YOU BREAK ALONG THE WAY

SHITLLFABOUT ind.

86 yota sas'd

Keystone Crawler
CHEVYNTOY4X4
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:23 pm

CHEVYNTOY4X4 wrote:hows the compression?

maybe some stuck valves if its been sitting for awhile

I was even thinking about maybe jumping time-timing chain too loose-my ex-boss changed his fuel pump out on his 258 and I guess the new pressure was enough to cause the came to stay while turning the crank over.

Maybe?
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby Brody » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Timing could be off if the distributer is loss maybe you turned it by mistake when you were giving it a tune up.
To get it started in this case you could static time it.
Bring the motor(#1 cylinder) top dead center. Then put the spark plug in the #1 plug wire and turn the distributor till the plug sparks (plug will need grounded to the motor) then you just turn it back and forth trying to find the closest mark for where the plug fires at..Tighten down the distributor bolt put ever thing back together and try and start it..if it back fires its 180* off. If its a 180* off you just unplug all the wires from the distributer and rotate the wires 180* from where they where at and try again. If you don't get what I'm saying look it up in a manual. when its running again throw it on a timing light.

If it wont at lest start up for a few seconds with starter fluid then its usually a spark issue.
Brody
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby bokchoy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:47 am

It doesn't seem like stuck valves. I did have it running not to long ago. Back than it would idle just fine. Only when i stomped on the gas would it die off. That is how i found the issue with the fuel pump. I think i am just off on the distributor. I will give it a try on getting #1 top dead center. Thanks for the suggestions.
bokchoy
Training Wheels

Return to Jeep Tech