Anti freeze in oil. AMC 304

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Anti freeze in oil. AMC 304

Unread postby 1tonCJ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Well, I thought I had it figured out. I figured it was the head gasket. I replaced the head gasket and the intake manifold gasket. Then I decided to fill the engine with water to see if it fixed the leak. I was wrong. as soon as I fill the water neck, it started leaking through the drain plug at a steady drip. I left the drain plug out after I drained the oil just to see if it would leak and it did. Anyone have any idea what it might be since the head gasket and the intake manifold gaskets are replaced now? I checked the heads for warping but they were within .008 of being straight which is within spec. I don't know what to try next. any suggestions? I was hoping to wheel this weekend too!! :mad2:
-John C.
Tubed out CJ7, AMC 401, TH400 reverse manual valve body,Dana 300, 14 Bolt Rear, 60 Front, 47" LTB's, Hydro Steering
Its a work in progress, I just can't seem to progress!!
Just Empty Every Pocket
1tonCJ
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Did you over heat it at any time? or let it freeze? I know some of the head bolts go through the water ports-need to silicone them-maybe and hopefully it is something simple! If not, maybe a cracked head or block, could even be the water pump leaking into the timing cover!
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

camshaft gear drive can caused water in the oil

Unread postby G-Eagle » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:51 pm

I used to have a 304, I also had similar problem. I also changed the head gasket, amongst other things. After changing the head gasket twice, I finally pull the water pump housing off. The camshaft gear drive for the distributor came off and ran through the back side of the water pump housing. This caused a crack that allowed water to run directly into the crankcase. The water pump housing was pricey ten years ago, 135 bucks.

Incidentally that problem occurred after a four day weekend in San Carlos Mexico, it was the very first start up after I returned. I felt pretty luck is happen when I got home.
78 CJ7 V8 700R4, 3.06:1 Tera low, 2x stik, X'd up 609 front -ARB, N9 rear- Spool, 4-link, 513's
2007 Dodge 4x 2500 diesel
G-Eagle
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby scramblerX » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:37 pm

At that kind of a leak rate, it is probably the timing cover, either worn or corroded thru. The head bolt that sometimes needs to be sealed is usually only on earlier years, so shouldn't be necessary on the 304. Sometimes the corner coolant passages in the intake manifold will leak into the crankcase. You'll notice raised beads on the gasket that are intended to guide any leaking coolant to outside, so be careful not to defeat that neat little feature with sealant. I think BJs Off Road has a whole kit (gaskets gears, etc) for about $250. Last time I checked, Mopar still hadn't released the design to the aftermarket, they where only building a run after a pretty good order backlog had stacked up, and they were quite proud of them...($$$ :mad2: ).
Tim
scramblerX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 1tonCJ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for the info guys!! I am going to tear into it and figure out what is wrong as soon as I can. I hope it is just the timing cover gasket, but from what is being mentioned, I think I might have bigger problems to deal with.
-John C.
Tubed out CJ7, AMC 401, TH400 reverse manual valve body,Dana 300, 14 Bolt Rear, 60 Front, 47" LTB's, Hydro Steering
Just Empty Every Pocket
1tonCJ
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby G-Eagle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:27 pm

1 ton, how did it work out????
78 CJ7 V8 700R4, 3.06:1 Tera low, 2x stik, X'd up 609 front -ARB, N9 rear- Spool, 4-link, 513's
G-Eagle
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby 1tonCJ » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:24 pm

G-Eagle wrote:1 ton, how did it work out????

Well, you could say it worked out good and bad. It ended up being the timing cover cracked and leaking into the timing chain and draining into the oil pan just like was suspected. I sold the engine tranny and transfer case as a package to a friend for a few hundred bucks and put in my 401. Just got the turbo 400 back from the shop with a rebuild using the kevlar kit and the dana 300 adapter with a full reverse manual valve body. I am taking a break from installing it right now because of the heat. It should all be together by tomorrow or so. So, you could say it worked out well, in my opinion. :thumb: I hope it all goes smooth. I will post pictures when I get it done.
-John C.
Just Empty Every Pocket
1tonCJ
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby scramblerX » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Ya, that worked out good. 401s are the best engine in the world. :D
Tim
scramblerX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby G-Eagle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:04 pm

1tonCJ wrote:
G-Eagle wrote:1 ton, how did it work out????

Well, you could say it worked out good and bad. It ended up being the timing cover cracked and leaking into the timing chain and draining into the oil pan just like was suspected. I sold the engine tranny and transfer case as a package to a friend for a few hundred bucks and put in my 401. Just got the turbo 400 back from the shop with a rebuild using the kevlar kit and the dana 300 adapter with a full reverse manual valve body. I am taking a break from installing it right now because of the heat. It should all be together by tomorrow or so. So, you could say it worked out well, in my opinion. :thumb: I hope it all goes smooth. I will post pictures when I get it done.

I fixed mine in a similar fashion the second time it broke, I put in a SM chevy. The 401 ought to very bad azz.
G-Eagle
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Return to Jeep Tech