motor mount problem....torch time?

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

motor mount problem....torch time?

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Ok so in addition to the other bs i had wrong that i got all fixed up...my driver side motor mount was wasted...absolutely gone...got the bolt out that goes thru it...then tried gettin the nut off the stud thats pressed into the mount and it just spins...tried puttin it in a bind and still didnt budge..tried soakin it in penetrating fluid...nada. so my next idea is to torch the nut off...any other ideas before i do that?
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby o2bgpn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:58 am

I’m guessing you’re talking about the stud pictured here:

You might try to get a nut splitter on it but it’s pretty tight up there (that didn’t sound right). Feel free to destroy the stud getting it out just be careful not to damage the motor mount bracket it’s attached to. Since the stud is integral you’ll get a new one with your new motor mount.

I installed MORE motor mounts with the rubber (not urethane) bushings myself and have had no problems with them for the past 4 years. I hear Brown Dog’s mounts are good but I’ve never used them.

There are a couple more shots here: http://borntourist.com/gallery2/v/mods/frame/
97 XJ, 33's, (r)8.25 locked, (f)D30 limited slip, nerfs, skids, safety equip, etc.

http://borntourist.com
o2bgpn
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Re: motor mount problem....torch time?

Unread postby beafire » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:24 am

If you decide to use the torch be extremely careful that rubber will catch fire easily and it is not easy to extinguish. The nut splitter sounds like a good idea to me.
beafire
Training Wheels

Return to Jeep Tech