Left Turn

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Left Turn

Unread postby teckman22 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 am

well something new just started with my cj.... when i make a sharp left turn my left rear tire churps and i get this weird almost clinking sound out of it and i feel like a little bump out of it too if that makes any sense at all... i don't know much about this kind of thing so any help of where to start would be great.
Please don't break!?! Please don't break!?! Sh*t!!!!
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby scramblerX » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:15 am

Hopefully you have a locker or limited-slip diff back there. What are your vehicle specifics, what do you know about it?
Tim
scramblerX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby teckman22 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:46 am

that's just it i don't really know i bought this jeep about 2 years ago and the guy i bought it from had no clue what it was and what it had... he knew it was a jeep that the fuel level gauge didn't work... and i haven't really messed at all with the diff... driving it around though and wheeling with it im guessing it is at least a limited slip.... it concerns me cause just recently i got the extra little noise with it..its an amc 20 and that is about all i know about it.
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby scramblerX » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Well, let's start with the basics...what year, CJ5/7/8, I6 or V8, auto / 3spd/or 4spd? What kind and size of tires/rims? And what are the tire pressures?
Tim
scramblerX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby teckman22 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:03 pm

well it a 82 cj7 with an I6, 5 speed, 32X11.5 tires on 15 in rims and i like to run 30psi
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby o2bgpn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:44 am

Three rights make a left, problem solved. :D

I think you’re going to have to get your hands dirty and pull off your diff cover and report back with what you see.

1. What was the fluid like that came out of it?
2. How are all the gear teeth?
3. Is there a limited slip in the carrier or is it locked?
4. Anything else you can see we might want to know about?”

It could be as simple as you need to change the fluid and add a friction modifier for your limited slip or as bad as chipped or missing tooth. Good luck.
97 XJ, 33's, (r)8.25 locked, (f)D30 limited slip, nerfs, skids, safety equip, etc.

http://borntourist.com
o2bgpn
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:02 am

ubolts or shackles loose...
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby teckman22 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:59 am

well it is my daily driver so that part sucks and i wont get to it till tomorrow but i did just change the fluid and it was low and black!!! i know enough that that is not right but it still smelled like gear oil... i did put a limited slip modifier in there too just have yet to take it out... had to check back and see if there were any tips left here :D but if that does not help I'm going to tear into it this weekend... another thing i figured out today on the way to one of my jobs is i can glide the turn and it not happen but when i power through a turn it pings and pops... a guy at work said it might be the transfer case too anybody know anything about that? ill let you guys know what happens with the fluid change
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Some of this has all ready been said

Check your tire pressure.

Check and make sure that the tires are the same size.

Check and make sure that it isn't in 4 Hi.

Does it ONLY do it when you turn left? not right?
If it makes the sound turning both directions, it has a locker or Jeep calls it a trac loc and if you put the additive in when changing the gear oil, it is possible that the clutches still work. The AMC 20 has a clutch pack on both sides where the axle slides into the carrier-I don't think that you can see them-I couldn't.

If it only makes the sound when powering through a corner-sounds like a locker but if you can coast through a corner and it NOT make the sound-sounds like a locker!
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby teckman22 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:22 am

after changing the fluid it did it right away but after driving it around for a little bit the sound went away and i can barely feel the knocking in the diff... i don't know what happened but it worked for the time being. i hope it does not come back over the next few days... and I'm still deciding if i want to pull the cover off and see whats inside and i want to drive it around more to see if it comes back... but any who thanks guys for your help and if it is a locker that would explain why i can out climb my buddy's TJ :thumb:
teckman22
Training Wheels

clunk n buck

Unread postby 4x4ndad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Sounds like you changed out your rear diff fluid and it required a lsd additive. jack up the rear end of the truck and spin one tire by hand if the other side spins opposite your rear end is open. If you have the traany,transfer in gear and you cannot spin a tire by hand the rear end has a traction device, By your description sounds like a clutch plate design lsd.
Just another Tj owner looking for his village.
4x4ndad
Training Wheels

Unread postby teckman22 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Well i am back with an even larger problem... now the right tire is locking up in left turns and in right turns it slips so bad i feel like something is going to fall off... so i am assuming that the gears and locker are shot and no amount of fluid change is going to help... so i got a hold of a new axle in lue of rebuilding the diff because i really don't know how to do it... i feel i can just change the axle and i go t screaming deal on it too, its out of a 78 with locker and 4.10 gears... any tips when i doing this or is it a simple unbolt and re-bolt
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:34 pm

better make sure that you front axle is 4.10 as well. other than that, ya, it's unbolt and bolt in the "new" one.
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby teckman22 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:55 pm

if the front is not 4.10 will it really mess it up or just be off a bit when im in 4wd... im really new to the whole gearing thing
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:50 am

yes it is a big deal...your tcase will be the binding spot. just make sure the front and rear are same ratio before you put it in 4wd.

Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby teckman22 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:05 am

well im assuming its stock but does anyone by chance know what stock is... is it 3.54
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby hayseed » Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 am

Look on the cover plate for your front axle, there should be a small metal tab held on by one of the cover plate bolts. That tab will have some numbers stamped into it and one set of numbers should be your gear ratio these numbers are usually larger than the rest on a Dana axle. It might be 3.07, 3.54, or some other. it may also have a number like 41-10 this is the gear tooth counts.
The other way ( the most positive way) to determine your gear ratio would be to remove the cover plate and count the ring gear teeth and the pinion Teeth and devide the ring gear count by the pinion teeth. or just post up here with the tooth counts.
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
Specializing in rock crawler custom fabrication, chassis, suspension, and drive train.
Check out our website! http://www.rockingjoffroad.com
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby teckman22 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:03 pm

well pulled the cover off and counted the teeth and on the ring gear is 43 and the pinon is 13 so by my calculation that is a 3.30 gear... looking at he ring and pinon they are ok and the locker is all messed up when i pulled the cover off metal peices fell out. the spider gears on 2 of the 4 are stripped out and slipping, i would post pictures but still have not figured that out so i made a facebook album and the link is at the bottom... so i am wondering how hard is it to change the locker out compared to changing the axle, would i have to worry about getting the pinon right since i really don't have to mess with it... or do i have to do a special thing to get it right instead of fumbling though it

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 9aed493184
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby hayseed » Sun May 17, 2009 8:47 pm

That looks like an AMC 20 rear axle, it it a positraction or track lock or what ever they called it? You should be able to pull the spider gears out by removing the big center pin and go to Willy's Works in Tucson to get some replacements. It's fairly easy to do and doesn't require resetting the gears in the rear end. You don't need to pull the carrier out of the housing at all.
I'll look around I might even have a set of spiders for that if it is a track-lock.
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
Specializing in rock crawler custom fabrication, chassis, suspension, and drive train.
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby teckman22 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 pm

yeah i just found out its a track lock, if you find those gears that would be great and thanks for the help
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby hayseed » Sun May 17, 2009 8:57 pm

I think I have a complete tracklock carrier floating around I'll check tommorrow
you'll want to change out the tracklock clutches while you have it apart.
when you pull the spider gears the clutches are right in the open. I think Rob will have them at Willie's Works. and you'll want to add a limited slip additive when you put it back together.
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Yes sir, that is a AMC 20
On certain gear sets, you will have to pull the carrier out, unbolt the ring gear and then you can pull the center pin. Some people grind one or two of the tips off of the teeth so the pin will come out without unbolting the ring gear.

Once you get the spider gears out, you can get to the clutches and metal discs-be sure and remember which was where-fiber, metal.fiber metal and so on-I think there are three metals and two fibers-maybe-on each side.

Good luck and it is pretty easy. If Willy's works doesn't have them, you can order them from places like Quadratec.com (all Jeep parts) as well as other 4 wheeldrive places.

my 2 cents
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby teckman22 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:39 am

any luck finding those gears?
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby teckman22 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:53 pm

well i got the cross pin out and the smaller gears but i cant figure out how to get the bigger gears out that are connected to the axle shafts. do i need to take the whole thing out its self? all i have done so far is take the clips off the big pin and slid that out along with the small gears.
teckman22
Training Wheels

Unread postby hayseed » Wed May 20, 2009 7:08 pm

OOp's I forgot about you, I know I do have the gears.
To get the side gears off you need to jack up the rear end put it on jack stands. remove the wheels and brake drums, push the axles in toward the center of the axle as far as they will go and then on the inner end of the axles are some C-clips. remove the c clips and you should be able to pull the axles out a couple of inches then the side gears should just about fall out.
You can give me a call I'll send you a PM with my number.
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Next

Return to Jeep Tech