Death Wobble in 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Death Wobble in 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Unread postby redneckoffroad » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:52 pm

HELP!! We are fairly new to the area and are in desparate help with our Jeep. We have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 6 1/2 in lift. My husband can give more details if needed. Since it is also a daily driver having it out of commision is not a good thing. It has left me with no vehicle while my husband is at work. Because if his long hours and the lack of money as everyone Im sure can relate, I figured I would give this a try.

The problem started after a trip to Utah for the Easter Jeep Safari. After surviving one of the hardest trails, our Jeep it left with a horrible wobble in the front end. My husband has exhausted himself in time and money trying to figure this problem out. We have repalce the track bar and had it alined many times. We have researched this issue and it is know as the Death Wobble. BUT fixing it it is a whole other issue. If anyone has had similar problems or has any suggestions PLEASE let us know. Or if there is a shop on Safford area that installs lifts that would be of great help also. Thank you and once we get this fixed we would REALLY love to go Wheelin. We were in Colorodo for 8 years and Wheelin was all we did for fun. We would like to meet new people and have some fun.
redneckoffroad
Training Wheels

Unread postby TallGuy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Welcome. :D

Tell Brayton to get off his butt and.... nevermind. ha ha

Yeah, the death wobble sucks. It can be so many different things. I don't remember if he told me it had a steering stabilizer? My truck had the death wobble bad, and I couldn't get it fixed no matter what I replaced. When I put a stabilizer on it, the problem was gone.

Also, have him check the ball joints. Jack up the front tires, put one hand on top and one on bottom and see if there's any play. Push on top/Pull on bottom, then exactly opposite. If it wiggles, the ball joints need replaced.

I need to drop by and see the jeep. By the way, next time you log on, scroll to the very bottom of the forum list. :thumb:
TallGuy

Unread postby AZBearFan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:42 pm

yeah this is very common in ZJ's, especially lifted ones with stock steering. If it got worse after a wheeling trip, check the track bar and mounts for loose bolts or stress fractures. The stock track bar mount is very weak. As TG said check ball joints, steering components, etc as well as tire balance. You may also want to check out http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/. they are a PHX company that specializes in ZJ parts and they make some great steering components that help get rid of death wobble.
"Trying to forget anything as intriguing as this would be an exercise in futility."

Project Rez-Erection
AZBearFan
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 pm

ball joints, wheel bearings, tires out of balance..good luck and welcome
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby blackd-out-chev » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:27 pm

it might seem stupid, and idk if it relates to your problem...but my cherokee was havin a bad death wobble for awhile and i couldnt figgure it out. id go over 35 mph and itd just freak out in my hands...i tried and tried and tried. well i took it out to the river for the day and ended up pullin the upper shock mount thru the fender and it got worse. got home, fixed the upper shock mount and got the shock in there solid and the wobble was gone... i know sounds stupid but hey...it helped me
blackd-out-chev
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby Chevydreamer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:03 am

I would check the bushings in the front end. My buddie had the same thing in his blazer. We boxed the shackle because we didnt have money for ne polys. but that fixed it.
87 Zuk on mini swampers mini spooled
98 Chevy K1500 extended cab short bed tow rig on MTRs
Chevydreamer
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby Ashman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:07 pm

ZJ is Short arm 5 link, are they factory links? what lift height?

The caster (pinnion angle) is important on a lifted 5link, you may need long lower links to make the caster correct.

If you joints in the suspension arms are worn or sloppy that can cause your problem.

what kinda track bar was installed?

Are the tierod ends in good shape?

Is the steering box tight to the frame, The boxes can crack the frame and cause DW, you can buy a steering box brace.

If you plan to use it alot for wheeling Hydro assist is better then a steering stabilizer and that can fix DW.

Wheel bearings and knuckle balls joints in good shape?
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby redneckoffroad » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am

yes it is the 5 link and i have 6" of lift, alll the bushing look good and i have no play that i can find as for the track bar it is a rustys offroad heavy duty adjustable it is the second one that is has had the first one the death wobble caused it to snap at the adjustable like i have 33x1250 15 on 10" black steel could this cause the problem?
redneckoffroad
Training Wheels

Unread postby o2bgpn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 am

What I’ve always done to diagnose DW is have someone sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering wheel back and forth hard while I sit out front and watch for what’s loose. Simple, but it’s never let me down. I’ve found loose bolts, cracked frame, wallered out bolt holes, and worn ball joints using this method. Good luck.
97 XJ, 33's, (r)8.25 locked, (f)D30 limited slip, nerfs, skids, safety equip, etc.

http://borntourist.com
o2bgpn
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:07 am

o2bgpn wrote:What I’ve always done to diagnose DW is have someone sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering wheel back and forth hard while I sit out front and watch for what’s loose. Simple, but it’s never let me down. I’ve found loose bolts, cracked frame, wallered out bolt holes, and worn ball joints using this method. Good luck.

good call
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TallGuy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:33 am

Brayton, what time do you get off? I can stop by one of these days when you're home. :thumb:
TallGuy

Unread postby redneckoffroad » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm

tucker i get off at 4:00 but i am home today
redneckoffroad
Training Wheels

Unread postby TallGuy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Sorry, didn't see this till now. I'll see if I can swing by one of these days. I get off at 5, but I lift weights till 6:30 or so. May have to be Saturday in order to have some daylight.
TallGuy

Unread postby redneckoffroad » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:36 am

stop by anytime just give me a call. We will be here this Sat.
redneckoffroad
Training Wheels

Return to Jeep Tech