SOA

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

SOA

Unread postby Bad Andy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm

any help will be great. i have a 94 jeep sahara with 8" shackle on the stock springs. if i replaced this with a SOA kit. what will the lift be? how much work will i need to do? like the brake lines, steering or what ever will need to be done. please help with any suggestions
i have plenty of talent and vision; i just don't give a $hit.
Bad Andy
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby ademster » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 pm

I believe you would net about 5 inches of lift, you will need extended brake lines, and re-work the steering...
ademster
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby Bad Andy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:45 pm

rework steering as in drop pitman arm? if not that what else? oh yeah thanks ademster
Bad Andy
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby hayseed » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:18 pm

SOA should give you about 4-5" of lift over the stock height. If you have any fab skills you don't need a kit just make up some brackets and weld them up.
If you are going to replace the 8 " lift you have now you should already have brake lines long enough they may even be too long when you get done. You may need to modify the track bar lenght . steering may need a different pitman arm you'll just have to see how it works out in the end.
Rocking J Offroad
1941 W. Gardner LN.
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 834-4242
Specializing in rock crawler custom fabrication, chassis, suspension, and drive train.
Check out our website! http://www.rockingjoffroad.com
hayseed
WAZ Vendor
WAZ Vendor

Unread postby Bad Andy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:24 pm

hayseed thanks for the input what about the drive shafts. will the stock one still work??
Bad Andy
Mud Terrains
Mud Terrains

Unread postby Flop » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:18 am

That 8" shackle only nets about 2-3" lift doesn't it? After a SOA, going back to the stock shackles, you'd see about another 2.5"-3.5" lift. I would think you could get by with the stock ds, but I dunno until looking at it. Same goes for the steering, you might need a drop pittman arm, in fact I'd bet you would, the question is- how much drop. I'd think 2-4", but the 4 might be too much, or too little.
Part Dodge
Part Chevy
Part Humvee
Mostly Jeep...

All American.
Flop
Boggers
Boggers

Unread postby ROCKBOXAZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:06 pm

I think you will need a SYE if you have anything over 4" lift in a wrangler. The driveshaft is short to begin with and even a small amount of lift will affect it. The front shaft will be fine.

A SOA isnt hard just buy new spring perches, drop pitman arm and brake lines. Did a buddies in a morning.

If you do buy new perches instead of making them yourself get some that can move your wheelbase an inch. YJs can always use more WB, Atleast my buddies could
a couple projects not enough parts yet
ROCKBOXAZ
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Return to Jeep Tech