Starting Problems

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

Starting Problems

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Ok well I put a new starter in and that wasn't it and I have a full battery and im going lose it on my jeep. So what i'm trying to figure out is does anyone know what the heck is going on. I think it maybe the soiloned on the firewall but what I don't get is why do I have one on the firewall and one on the starter? Any info would help right now or if you live in Tucson or Sierra Vista and have a extra you want to part with???
Wwwhhhoooaaa that wasn't me
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby scramblerX » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:09 pm

What are the rig specifics? Do you have a multimeter?
Tim
scramblerX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chuggins143 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:44 pm

If the problem is on the 88XJ that's in your sig, then it's probably the crank position sensor (CPS) that's located on the belhousing under the drivers side firewall. It's a real PITA to get at... You can try unplugging it and plugging it back in, that worked for me sometimes to get the truck running. The plug is located on the drivers side of the engine compartment, it runs off the back end of the intake manifold and down the firewall. IIRC, it's a three wire jobber and has a black plastic connector. The CPS itself is bolted to the belhousing right about where the bottom of your gas pedal is. The only way I've found that was even remotely easy to get at the bolts was to come at it from way back... we're talking like 4 ft (maybe more) of extension with a joint on the socket and start from behind the t-case. That's the only way I found that I could get any space for the ratchet to work, any closer and you're smacking the bottom of the truck and the tranny. I went through the same thing... thought it was all kinds of junk, replaced everything from the starter to the muffler bearings, when I finally found out what it was and what it did... well, I started carrying a spare all the time. Let us know what you find out.
Good luck!
:thumb:
C
New DD - 2003 Toy Quadcab Prerunner

Soon to be truggy from this carcass!
RIP! - 85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TallGuy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:42 pm

The CPS being bad causes it not to crank?

Sounds like a wiring problem, or something with the solenoid. Grab the multimeter. :thumb:
TallGuy

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Need a little more info-

does it crank but not start? could be CPS, could be timing gears and chain, could be not getting any fuel-electric fuel pump not working etc.

will it not crank? ignition switch, switch on steering wheel tube, loose wire, neutral safety switch?

need more info. . . . . .
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby hugh jeffner » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:59 pm

muffler bearings hey Chad...........are those located next to the blinker fluid at the local parts store?
if i'd of known we were making history, i'd have paid closer attention (some dude in dust to glory)
hugh jeffner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm

It doesn't do anything when I try to start it the Temp gauage bounces alittle its a pain like non other and its a 88 Jeep Cherokee. But what is a multimeter do you mean a Volt Meeter? But I am lost on what the hell it could be? I think that the muffler bearings are over by the electric compassider condensers over on aisle 5... But thanks for the info mayne this will help narrow it down...
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TallGuy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Check your battery cables, check the ground on the engine block. My cables caused that one time, and the cables looked fine, till I cut into one - it was corroded like no other inside the wire coating. That's where I'd start, then work your way through the other electrical connections.

If the solenoid isn't closing, it won't crank either, so that's another possibility.

Good Luck! :D
TallGuy

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:12 pm

When did this start happening? I would double check to make sure the thing is in park-maybe lift up on the gear shift a little bit when trying to crank. On the side of the transmission is a neutral safety switch-should have 3 wires with 1 plug around the linkage on the drivers side, make sure the wire is still plugged in-you can jumper it if you connect a wire to both of the outside wires in the connector-then try to start it. If it still won't start-thats not the problem. Sometimes the switch on the steering column goes bad-I have rebuilt mine before and regreased it to where it works fine now.

Sounds like you need a friend that's a mechanic to help you trouble shoot the problem.

Surely someone besides yourself in Benson wheels?
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby Ashman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:54 pm

My 88xj had a faulty ignition switch twice. Its located on the top of the steering column near the foot pedals mine melted it was obvious.

If that breaks then it wont turn over the starter and it wont properly power up the dash lights. my dash lights would flicker and the radio would turn off if I giggled the key.

that was like $12 fix at autozone.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:33 am

I will try it all tomorrow but idk where to get some of the cables that run off of the soiloned but? Everyone that wheels out here deals with older jeeps like cjs and newer ones.. But thanks ill defentaly mess with it in the morning after i put a valve cover gasket on my dads jeep. But thanks again guys. Anyone want to help hahaha..
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Ashman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Is it the 88XJ? with 4.0? I think I have my old computer and coil, if you need to trouble shoot it lateron.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:17 pm

even just a loose cable will cause your syptoms.
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:42 am

Sorry I haven'thad time to try everything you guys told me work has been crazy but thanks Ashman but what I cant figure out is it worked and I parked it. Well the next day it woulndn't do anything. You wouldn't happen to have a seloined that goes on the firewall would you? Cause I have one on the starter and one on the firewall I will give it back I just wan to try that.
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chuggins143 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:26 pm

I assumed from his first post that it would crank just not start. Yeah, I forgot about the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) on the side of the tranny... IIRC, I'd just bypassed mine, nice mod. You can then start the rig in gear. The column is a standard GM column for 88, so a starter switch for a Chevy PU will work fine. ...or pretty much any other part for that column! :thumb:

You might also take a look at the fuse links located on the relay box behind the battery... mine eventually started getting crusty and took a dump. I replaced all of them with a fuse panel that I picked up at Don's Hot Rod shop, blade type fuses are much easier to see blown than those stinking fuse links!

...yeah Jeff, the muffler bearings are over by the fritzer valves and brake rotor lube! :D

..and for sure check your ground between the block and body!
New DD - 2003 Toy Quadcab Prerunner

Soon to be truggy from this carcass!
RIP! - 85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Ashman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 pm

I had this stuff added to the jeep bible.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost ... ostcount=7
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Alright I was messing with the jeep last night and I was messing with that solenoid and I got to crank a few times by touching a screw driver to the nut that has the power going to it and then to a little barb on the solenoid. But it sounded like i didnt have enough juice so I hooked up the battery charger and tried it again and couldn't get it to do anthing. The solenoid clicked and that was it(is that good or bad?).My next thing im going to try and do is get a shorter battery cable and a new ground. But if you guys think its the solenoid does anyone have a extra they would want to sell?
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Brody » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Get a new sylinoid, I don't know why you have two maybe you got the wrong starter in there. Are you sure the starter has a syliniod, and which syliniod are you bumping with a screw driver. I'd have the parts store guy look it up for me and get it back to the factory set up if its wrong.
Brody
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 4alarm » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Take it down to Auto Zone and they'll test it for you.
-Josh
'70 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Build-up HERE!
'02 Toyota Sequoia
'08 Infiniti G35
TLCA Member #14566
My pictures: http://www.parrish-family.net
4alarm
19 Apr 1980 - 1 Nov 2008

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm bumping the one on the fire wall and I alredy had the starter tested already and the little wheel that shoots out of the starter so I got another one. I have two solenoids one on the starter and one on the fire wall and as far as I can tell it has to have two. I have a buddy that works at a part store and he has looked it but and the only thing that is keeping m from buying a new one is that at my cost is about $175. Auto Zone can test that solenoid that is on the fire wall? Or did you mean the starter?
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 4alarm » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:12 am

I was just responding to your last post, I hadn't re-read it from the beginning and forgot you were talking about a different type of setup. I was assuming that you were bumping a cylinder on the starter itself. I think AutoZone can only test the starter itself.
-Josh
'70 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Build-up HERE!
'02 Toyota Sequoia
'08 Infiniti G35
TLCA Member #14566
My pictures: http://www.parrish-family.net
4alarm
19 Apr 1980 - 1 Nov 2008

Unread postby Crawlin_88 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Oh alright I guess I'm going to have to just brake down and buy the part and hope that is it. Ill have to get it and let you guys no thanks for the help you guys.
02 Hyundai Elantra GT
04.5 Dodge Cummins..
Crawlin_88
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Jeep Tech