power steering, Gearbox

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

power steering, Gearbox

Unread postby Cjayrun » Mon May 19, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm a newbie so be nice...need some recommendations on swaping the gearbox on my 78 CJ7, from manual to PS. Running a chevy SB 350, anyone try this before? Any help would be appreciated.
J
78 CJ7
Cjayrun
Training Wheels

Unread postby scramblerX » Mon May 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Haven't done the exact swap, but Jeeps of this vintage used Saganaw boxes and pumps (just like GM), so I would think that you can mix and match pieces, as long as you have the Jeep frame bracket and Chevy motor bracket/s. I have swapped boxes around between GM cars and AMCs (same as Jeep), putting a faster ratio box from a T/A and smaller output pump from a little Buick F85 on my AMX. Box bolted on, and the pump went right into my AMC resevoir.

There may be some aftermarket solutions, too.
Tim
scramblerX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Cjayrun » Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Tim,

Thx...on the lookout for a Saganaw box with mounts
J
78 CJ7
Cjayrun
Training Wheels

Unread postby TallGuy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:29 pm

I have a friend with the same issue - 72 CJ5, 258 or whatever it is I-6. He's going from manual to power. Got the box, but there is no pump for that 258 in that time frame that the parts guy could find.

Is there certain parts, or is it pretty much just mix/match?

BTW, anyone have any brackets for such thing?
TallGuy

Unread postby ademster » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:45 pm

I have a 82 Cj-7 p/s box with mount... it has minor leaks but it works... even has the pitman arm.

and best part is you can use the chevy pump with it, just buy hose for the cj and bend/adjust as needed.
ademster
General Grabbers
General Grabbers

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Just so you guys know, look for the mounts-holes drilled and tapped in the block on the driverside, that is where you need to start. Another friend of mine was doing the same thing, bought the parts off of ebay-as long as you get all of the brackets off of a I-6 amc and your timing cover bracket also has the right holes in it you will be OK. If not, you might be looking for another timing cover also. As far as GM stuff bolting up-I wouldn't know about that-pump and all, the gearboxes are the same so I have heard.

You could also take everything off of a later motor and use it all. The alternator needs to be high on the passenger side and the powersteering pump high on the driverside. Oh yeah, be sure and get the pulleys, spacers and the like if you are going scavenge hunting at the local wrecking yard :thumb:

PS, go to this link

http://wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewt ... highlight=

Then look at the picture that says No radiator (About 3/4 of the way down) (Sorry, Couldn't post just the one pic) to look at the brackets and the positioning of the alternator and PS pump location.
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Unread postby jeepgeek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Hey Rick!

Hey everyone else... As for the SBC, I have no insight to offer that hasn't already been offered. The pump is the same from SBC to AMC. PS gearboxes can be from a two wheel drive chevy, FSJ or a factory equipped jeep (CJ/YJ).

As rick said, I bought parts off of ebay. However, I would recommend a different route to others looking to do this swap.

http://www.jwjeep.com/PartsInquiry.htm has a wonderful selection of used parts, at reasonable prices, and shipping doesn't hurt too bad either. I paid a nut to have some guy on ebay find, pull and ship parts to me from New York!

I did the upgrade on a 74 cj5 with the 258, and all said it went smoothly, considering my total lack of mechanical expertise. I thought it would be a simple swap, but one thing led to another, and before all was said and done, I had changed timing chain covers, relocated and re-wired the alternator, had a buddy drill and tap two spots on the block (Thanks Donny! :), had my harmonic balancer rebuilt, and changed the water pump, not to mention hunting down numerous other bits and pieces.

So, overall, it is an easy swap, but not a simple one. Your mileage may vary, and I'd be more than happy to help out in any way that I can. Feel free to PM me if you have questions i might be able to answer.

Jeepgeek :thumb:
jeepgeek
Training Wheels

Unread postby scrambler 82 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Welcome Jeepgeek or James, you could go into the Introduce yourself and well, introduce yourself! Welcome and thanks for posting up your thoughts on the conversion as well.
D60 rear, 60 front 3 linked, spools, 5.38's and 39.5 IROK's, auto and a little 6 banger!
scrambler 82
Top Dawg
Top Dawg

Return to Jeep Tech