ENGINE SWAP

Post your Jeep related Tech here.

Moderators: Toyman1994, TallGuy, Tice, Ashman

ENGINE SWAP

Unread postby crazy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:30 pm

My 93 xj is totaled with very good 4.0 fuel injected engine maybe 80,000 miles on it. TThe 97 I am building for off road only has a bad engine. What needs to be done to the 93 engine to put ihe 93 in to the 97 and have it run right.any advice would be apreachet excep corecting my spellin and gramer. I am spellin chalanged :cool:
crazy
Training Wheels

Re: ENGINE SWAP

Unread postby Toyman1994 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:26 am

I would say too little is known on the specifics. Anything is possible depending on the money and time that you want to spend.

What engine is in the 97? They both 4.0? If so, are the blocks the same? what is bad on the 97 engine? Would be possible to just swap the block from the 93 to the 97 and keep everything else intact? Would be cheaper in time and money to just repair the 97 engine and sell the 93 to fund the repairs?

I don't know enough about jeep engines to say for certain. In any case, if you plan to register the 97 at all, you may have trouble with emissions as on a general term for an engine swap, legally you have to put the same year motor or newer in.
o2bgpn wrote:Chesty women smacking hairy balls with tennis rackets. I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or go rub one out.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds Tice's truck together.

I don't forget, my brain just disregards insignificant details in my sleep.

Friend and Inspiration..RIP Josh.
Toyman1994
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ashman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Ive had a history with cherokees, we have a Comanche and even moderate the Pirate4x4 cherokee section but we do fabrication modification type threads not OEM tech.
I have many links to tech threads but its all fabrication modification type threads not trouble shooting or oem part swapping.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-che ... -tech.html

www.naxja.org is your best resource to research any wiring questions for the different years.
It will swap over. I dont know what wiring mods you might need to do for the motor, might not be any. If both are an aw4 they are the same but use a different connector on the TCU which could be rewired or TCUs swapped.
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ashman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

Looks like the 93 is ODBI and the 97 would be ODBII. 91-95 are ODB I and 96+ are OBD II
Using the ODBII wiring on your 93 looks like youll want to use the throttle body intake with all those sensors off the 97 and keep the 97 transmission and harness mated to the 93 motor swap.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... year+ODBII
Ashman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Jeep Tech